From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:42:27 -0400
Hello Debbie,

you wrote:
>..."They feel that there is no need for a ferret rescue/shelter...

I am not sure this questionaire is the correct route you want to take to
prove the need for your rescue-

Especially in the case of a zoning conflict.

It might be better served if you :

1- proved the need for such a rescue.

This might be better accomplished if

A- you could provide information as to how many ferrets are sold via
retail stores and breeders within a 30 mile radius of your community

     and

B- poll all the present rescues shelters for statistics on 1-0 taking
in & 2- adopting out domesticated ferrets

It is important to recognize that a rescue / shelter is a BUSINESS -
whether deemed a for profit or non profit it IS a business.  Usually
folks apply for a waiver before acquiring a property in a residential
zone - not after.  You may not be able to get a waiver in a specific
city zone for this business where your problem may exits. (?)

We were able to get our shelter established because there were no
specific restrictions in the town ( dating back to 1800's) which
pertained to non kennel, non retail animal operations.

Perhaps getting a lawyer - or yourself researching any animal
restrictions RSA'a and ORD's prior to the date you acquired the property
would be in order- however if you are not a state approved or established
non profit operation - that may not be relevant either.

Our shelter operation was a state accepted, approved facility which did
not apply to existing local ordinances- there also are NO pet quotas to
date for family pets ( there are some agricultural / zoning restrictions
ie.  cattle , herd animals etc.  cannot be kept in city- this being the
case we were able to remain in operation after a legal investigation.  I
am sure once we are gone restrictions will likely preclude another in
home type business but while we are here- we are okay to be here.

This is indeed a HARD LESSON for all folks who have numbers of ferrets
to look extensively into local ordinances BEFORE you move your ferrets.
BEFORE you set up an operation which will need to be dissolved!

It gets further complicated when you have intact and breeding ferrets...
it becomes and agricultural issue which city zoning and health get
involved in.  While it may not seem fair to the humans involved -- with
all the past cases of out of control ferret breeders and the ferret
community footing the bill we can perhaps more clearly see why it is
IMPORTANT to take the animals into consideration before things do get
out of control.

JUst my 2 cents on the complex problem you have been enduring--

Allicia D.