Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 14:01:28 GMT
Hi,

We have two ferrets, one is apprx 2 years old and one is 1.5 years old,
both spayed girls.  They've been both showing awkward signs of licking my
girlfriend and I recently.  The older one is a lap ferret and is constantly
within our vicinity, basking in our love and attention.  The younger one,
however, doesn't usually stay with us in long intervals - that is until
recently.  All she does is come over and lick us everywhere - particularly
on the feet (not the sole) and forearms.  Unless she gets distracted or we
physically move her, she keeps licking and licking.  She got so excited
once that she nipped both of us pretty hard on the arms.  We're concerned
because she also seems more irritable.  Her health and appetite seems to be
fine - she's active and alert.  We thought she might be licking our sweat,
but she started this behavior before it got warm in New England.  My
girlfriend read once on the FML about this licking behavior, particularly
in the dry areas of the human body, being linked to symptoms for either
insulinoma or lymphoma - she can't remember.  Does this behavior sound
familiar to you?  Is this a symptom of any illnesses?  We also thought
she's irritable and licking because she is in heat, but she is SUPPOSED to
be spayed (She's a Marshall ferret).  Another thing we thought was she is
deficient in specific nutrients, and is an animal instinct to compensate
for the imbalance (like licking rocks to get minerals).

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks very much.