From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:57:23 -0400
Hi Friends,

It certainly is a BUSY Autumn here at Ferret Wise!!

A Dozen Bench Sleepers have arrived at Martins Cages for those who
are starting their Holiday Shopping... The Ferret Wise website is
peacefully at it's new host location. Thanks to those who assisted us
in keeping the information on www.ferretwise.org available to those
who would use it!

Also we have a number of updates on the hospice ferrets at Ferret Wise:

Sasha- had dental surgery this week, she had 6 of her teeth extracted
and the remaining cleaned, she is making a great recovery and sipping
her soup in fine fashion. Hospice Dad Greg is making a great nurse!

JJ is still making great strides in fighting his lymphoma, thanks
to effective meds all signs of the neck mass remain hidden and his
activity level is strong! Thanks to Greg and Dr G for keeping him
comfortable and Happy!

DarkStar and Picasso are hamming it up and enjoying their days racing
about and playing tag.

Destiny - we were fighting a losing battle with Destiny she had begun
losing weight for an unknown reason and did not respond to antibiotics
for her potty problems. a visit to the vets verified our fears she had
lymphoma. At a young age 3.5 years we said our goodbyes and she fell
asleep in my arms. Rest well you fighter who never knew trust and
merriment.

She is being cremated as we long ago ran out of burial room on the
premises for our kids...

The remaining 4 kids here got a health check with the vet yesterday,
Barny has an abdominal mass we will be starting him on pedia pred
tomorrow and monitor a close watch on his quality of life issues.

Blossom's spleen is enlarged more than usual - it was somewhat enlarged
when her left adrenal was removed.. and she is currently on meds to try
and resolve the hugeness of it before it raises issues with her
organs..

Elric is doing just fine! He is a tubby gent that STILL cannot get
enough N-bones!

The new arrival who entered as a stray- has now been deemed an
abandoned ferret by the police dept. No one called looking for it in
the past 2 weeks. SO UPDATE ON JANE DOE: The extremely malnourished and
dehydrated ferret turned over by neighboring police dept..... ate for
4 days straight. Upon getting some mass on it's body it was visibly a
male ferret. We do not think that food caused it's sex change, but
rather that once is has some body mass it's body parts were not hidden!
So WELCOME to FOXY-- a cinnamon boy which is approx 11 mos of age.
(The vet wondered if one entered as one was leaving-- that is a thought
I wander to often.) He weighed in at 3 pounds on his exam yesterday a
vast improvement over the mere 1 pound 2 ounces on his arrival!

Foxy brought along goodies to share (NOT) earmites so all the kids
here are on meds to chase them away.

The ferrets in residence at LeDoux hospice and at Maurice's Ferret Rest
are doing well being maintained of soup, melatonin, melatonin implants
etc.

We have exhausted all our shelter funds on the recent vet visits,
treatments & surgeries... so if anyone is interested in sewn bench
sleepers or top sleepers PLEASE let us know! Our ability to fund raise
is very limited these days.

Shelter Mom is more than willing to put in some time for fund raising
purposes in between her other work in the sewing room.

May the color of Autumn warm you all and may the coming winter be mild.

Alicia for the many faces at Ferret Wise

http://www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 org. All Donations appreciated!