From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:51:14 EST
> Mineral oil does act as a laxative, and both my ferrets happily eat food
>that has mineral oil poured over it.  One of them (as well as one of my
>cats) won't eat commercial hairball remedy - it's like you're trying to
>poison them.  & mineral oil's a lot cheaper than the commercial remedies...

A word of caution about mineral oil.  It will also dissolve some of the
oil- soluable vitamins (A & E, etc.) from their food and make them
unavailable for digestion.  I'd stick to the small doses of Petromalt or
Kittymalt for hairballs.  OBTW, I've noticed that the spring shedding
season is starting up here in NH.  Time to start the hairball treatments
if you haven't already done so.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter