From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 22:22:56 -0400
Hi all:

I promised that if anyone wanted information about how to save your pets in
the case of a fire, and they e-mailed me, I'd post.  Well, I did get e-mail
and therefore, here's my advice!

The following is exerpts from an article I wrote in the May/June 1995
Pennsylvania Ferreter.  If anyone wants a copy of the entire article, let me
know.

First, I have to go back to the caging issue for a moment.  For the plans I
will outline below, one of two things must occur: either you must cage your
ferrets, or they must be confined to a "room" just for ferrets.  All of us
let our ferrets out in our homes when we are near them and can keep an eye
on them, I won't say that you should stop doing that *however,* you have to
know at all times where your ferrets are.  Minimizing the little crawl
spaces they can hide (under dressers, cabinets, behind drawers, etc.) is
really important in case a fire breaks out.  You may have as little as 90
seconds to be able to gather your ferrets (and kids, dogs, cats, important
papers, etc...) so every second counts.

The following, then, are things to do to protect your pets:
" 1) Alert rescue crews to the presence of pets in your home.  Use
"totfinder" stickers made for pets (available in many pet stores and even
some Wal-marts).  If you can't find stickers, make a small sign, stating the
number, types, and location (i.e. cages) of pets in your home.  Tape/stick
to all doors entering your home, and if your ferrets are in a "ferret room"
attach the sign/sticker to that window as well.

2) Decide strategically where you will house your ferrets (i.e. keep their
cage).  While keeping ferrets in a basement would be a good means of
protection in case a tree falls on your home, it might not be the quickest
way to get your ferrets out in case of fire.

3) Have an escape route mapped for everyone in your family.  Mom gets kids
out, dad gets pets, papers, etc., or whatever works in your home.  Have
practice fire drills, both when ferrets are in cages (or ferret room) AND
when they are out running.  Do a fire drill several times a year!  I
guarantee that the first few times you run a drill, you will encounter
problems that in the event of fire would not be pleasant.  Having drills
will alert you to potential problem areas.  Also, when holding drills do NOT
simply "pretend" to remove pets.  It may be a pain to lug 6 ferrets and 3
cats out, but if this were really a fire it would need to be done.  Know in
advance any problems you might have.

4) ALWAYS have some means of restraining your pet ready in the event of a
fire, and keep it very handy, i.e., next to cages or the door.  For example,
if you have 6 ferrets and 3 cats, and they all have to come out of the
house, know in advance how you will get them out and keep them from running
away.  You can easily put 6 ferrets in one carrier (I don't care if they
will fight horribly--put them all in the same carrier!  A little battle
scars are better than charred furballs.  Sorry for being gruesome).  If your
cats can simply be chased out of the house safely (i.e., you don't live on a
highway & they are smart enough not to run away permanently) then do it.  If
this concerns you, though, then also have enough carriers on hand to quickly
throw the cats into it/them.  I have a huge dog carrier (meant for airline
travel) that 4 of my cats, probably all 6, could fit in.

In a pinch, if you can't get to your carrier, a pillowcase or even garbage
bag (for temporary measures ONLY) will also work great to get ferrets out in
a hurry.  Grab a furry, toss it in the sack.  In any case, you must have
something to keep your pets in; you will not be able to hold multiple pets
and the stress of a fire will also make you not want to try to juggle them.

5) Always have a survival kit ready and kept as close to your door as
possible.  In it, you want to make sure you always have: enough food for one
day per pet; water bottles; leashes for dogs/cats; food dishes; towels or
some other bedding for the ferrets; vaccination histories (after Kodo nobody
should question this), medical supplies (in case your family or pets are
injured in the escape) and anything else your specific pets should have.  An
excellent choice for your kit is a backpack.  This way as you are on the way
out the door with your pet carrier(s) you can sling it over your shoulder
and still make it out without returning.

These measures can help to make a difference in the event of a fire.  Of
everything mentioned above, the most important thing you can do is to hold
fire drills.  I can't stress this enough.  This is the only time that you
will be able to locate problem areas!  But I have to say this once again.
Think about the situation that arises everytime your ferrets are out loose
in your home.  Think about it *at this very minute*--if a fire broke out
this second, do you honestly know where all of your ferrets (and other pets)
are?  Could you find them in less than 90 seconds, including collecting them
and getting out?  Only you can answer this, and only you know if you are
doing everything you can to protect your little ones.  Sure, it's nice in
some ways to never cage your ferret.  But don't for a second think that a
fire will never happen to you.  That's foolish, and puts your ferrets in
great danger.

Hope this helps; let me know if you want a copy of the original article.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady