From:
"Rose, President, LOS, PA chapter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 01:32:19 -0500
I am co-director of the Legion Of Superferrets of PA ferret shelter/rescue
located in SE PA.  I would like to relate the process of:

1. taking in an unwanted ferret
2. recovering an unwanted pet ferret from a cooperating SPCA or Humane
   Society
3: rescue (usually in conjunction with local law enforcement)

These ferrets come into our shelter almost always without any vaccinations.
When folks are asked, "Is the ferret up to date with vaccinations?"
Generally the answer is, "Yes.  It has its shots before we got it ## years
ago."

Pet store ferret kits arrive with the equivalent of the legal "puppy" shot.
This is a 1/2 cc shot of (mink - at Marshall Farms) distemper vaccine.
Ferret kits need a series of 3 (although some veterinarians feel 4 is
better) canine (ferret) distemper vaccinations in the first year and a
single booster each year thereafter.  I know as many breeders who fully
vaccinate a kit before departure (12 - 16 wks approx) as I do who will allow
a kit with only 1 distemper shot to go to a permanent home.  Personally,
almost exclusively, mine leave fully vaccinated.

Ferrets coming into the shelter are given boosters if I have no record ot
previous vet to contact to verify proper vaccination.  Unpon arrival they
are put into quarantine for 10 days to 2 weeks if well, longer if ill, of
course.  During this time they are observed for personality, habits, and
possible health problems.  Practically all arrivals are undernourished
whether it be poor diet or poor care.  Ears are treated for mites (nearly
all arrivals do have ear mites or infections) and nails are trimmed, and
then bathed.  Most have poor to little maintenance care.

If a ferret comes in and doesn't use a litter pan, we teach them.  Once they
are out of quarantine, if alone, they are introduced to a "buddy".  Most
readily accept a ferret companion.

Now I begin to check the waiting list for the pre-interviewed person who
would be a personality match to the newcomer.  Being a NO KILL shelter, we
either keep here or have "special" members willing to "foster" the 'less
likely to be adopted'.

We feed Innova, Totally Ferret and Pro Plan Kitten (fills the need for the
junk food junkie in all ferrets) mixed to everyone, unless they need to be
on a special diet due to health.  Litter boxes are cleaned no less than once
a day.  Cages are disinfected daily and fresh bedding at least twice a week.
If an operation or other medical attention is needed, there is no hesitation
to visit our vets.  During normal vet visits and during shot clinics we
hold, anyone here with an expired or non-existant rabies vaccination will be
done.  Now, if this is not a reasonable reason to request an adoption fee
then there is something wrong.  I am USDA licensed and inspected.  We are
not government funded.  We survive on donations and money raised through
sales of items in the Rockyman Catalog.

Our adoption fee is small and we do take extra steps to ensure the new
parent is kept up to date on ferret information and happenings by including
a year membership with LOS National, where the owner receives 6 issues of
the FERRET DIGEST Magazine.

I hope this helps you understand why shelters/rescues ask for an adoption
fee.  Trust me when I say, "There is no profit to be gained in aiding the
recovery of transient ferrets.  Just a good feeling."
We are part of the STAR* system and I can be reached through the internet at:
[log in to unmask]  Our home page is: http://ferret-world.csc.peachnet.edu
We hold weekly ferret chats on AOL in Animal Chat room 1 from 10 pm til
Midnight ET and every Mon (same room) at 5pm ET.

Rose Smith
our mailing address:

LOS National
% Rose Smith
PO Box 866
Levittown PA 19058-0866

Announcements:

Championship Ferret Show
February 22, 1997
Seattle Washington
LIFE sanctioned
email for a show packet - [log in to unmask]  ASAP
Vendor should hurry as space is LIMITED

All Specialty Fiasco '97
April 5, 1997
Croydon PA
email address to be mailed show packet when available.  Specify vendor,
club, shelter and if showing ferrets.  Email if you would like to sponsor a
ring.  This is a non-point show.  16 specialty - color and pattern plus Best
Dressed - rings.

email [log in to unmask]