From:
John Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 08:18:33 -0500
Dear group,

As always, you've been an invaluable resource for me in a time of
need.  I've gotten a dozen and a half testimonials on the partial
pancreactomy -- some good, some bad.  When I put it all together,
the two things which jump out as vital to the success of this kind
of procedure are:

1) the experience of the surgeon (both in their ability to recognize
a good candidate as well as their skill in the operating room)

and

2) post-operative care (recognizing and treating diabetes especially)

So, onto my next question, which is somewhat awkward, but I hope everyone
will understand: I live in coastal Connecticut, about halfway between
Bridgeport and New Haven.  Can anyone recommend a great surgeon for me
to approach with Valentine?  I am willing, quite literally, to drive
hours to bring Valentine to the best pancreactomy surgeon possible.
I don't really know how experienced my regular vet practice (which
I'dd prefer not to disclose here) is with partial pancreactomies, and I
won't be able to inquire until after the holiday.  The practice does do
surgeries, of course; but I don't know about their track record with this
particular procedure.  As I said, lots of experience seems to be the key.

I may luck out and my current practice will be skilled; but if not, a
recommended surgeon from someone's first hand experience will be a great
plan B.  I'd like to have a plan B ready to go, as Valentine would need
the surgery ASAP.  That's why I'm asking now.  Whether or not the surgeon
recommended feels Valentine is a good candidate is another matter, but
I'll cross that bridge later.

I'll drive to Tufts; I'll drive to Penn....doesn't matter.  Valentine is
too important for me to rule out gifted surgeons just because they live
in another area code.

as always, my thanks,

John