From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:24:56 -0800
Hi everyone,

Well after *briefly* catching up on my FML reading and then promptly getting
behind again, I'm finally getting a chance to post an intro- what a great
idea, to whoever started it!  I've really enjoyed reading everyone's
intro's, it makes the FML much more personable.  Especially since I can't go
to the FML 10th party in Orlando next month to meet you all in person... :-(

First of all -- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!  to everyone and their dear fuzzy friends!

Second, here's my intro - (better late than never I guess!):

I met my first ferret in December 1995, when my boyfriend brought home a
beautiful sable female, Casey, who was 10 weeks old at the time.  I never
knew much about ferrets, but instantly fell in love with her -- I started
going over to visit Casey more than my boyfriend and he wasn't too happy
about that!  ;-) After a couple of weeks of bliss playing with Casey, my
mind was made up: I had to have a ferret of my own, but not without proper
research on care, nutrition, habits, etc.  I spent the next 3 months doing
thorough research on the Internet, joined the FML 8-), bought 3 books, and
talked to ferret-owned people.  The only thing I was put off by was the
ferret legalization problem in Calif., but I also soon joined Ferrets
Anonymous, CDFA (and CFL since then).  I still actively help those efforts,
BTW.  By late March, I knew I couldn't wait for Calif's stupid laws to be
changed forever, and scheduled time off in April to get my first baby.

Enter Jasmine, a now 1 1/2 year old sable female.  I bought her in Reno and
really let her choose me.  I knew after playing with all of the kits in the
store she was the one -- she promptly climbed up my arm and sniffed/licked
my entire face and neck.  She seemed very full of personality and spunk, and
very healthy for a little 8-week-old!  The long ride home (4 hours!) was
tough, Jasmine cried the whole way, but since then, she will always be my
"first furchild"- we struck a very strong bond almost immediately.  She's
extremely friendly, NEVER nips- even in play, loves people more than any
ferret I've met, the most curious out of all my babies (which can get her in
trouble!), and generally the most social/happy furkid.  Jasmine's always the
first one begging to be let out to play each morning and night, the first at
the front door when visitor's knock, the first to investigate new things and
people.  Her one "bad habit" is that she only has about a 35% accurate
"hit-rate" outside her cage litter boxes (Jasmine is too much of a "free
spirit" that way and likes to do things her way)...oh, well!  ;) She's a
petite (1 3/4 lbs!) but sassy girl.

After six months, my boyfriend took on a second job - as a reserve police
officer, so due to time (and legal!) reasons, let me "adopt" Casey from
him -- which I didn't mind at all!!  Casey is also a sweet sable female & a
very photogenic fert, but a little shy compared to Jasmine.  She's the one
who hides when strange noises happen, or when I bring out the vaccuum
cleaner.  She is otherwise very good, easily trained (Casey'll do ANYTHING
for treats!) - and knows how to kiss people right on the nose by the command
"kiss, Casey!" Casey's the "biggest" fert I have at 2 whole lbs!  (grin).

After another six months (uh oh, I see a trend here!), I was up skiing in
Tahoe for the weekend and "just happened" to stop by Pets R Us in Reno to
buy Jasmine and Casey supplies, when I saw Samantha, a gorgeous silver mitt
female, who I knew instantly I wouldn't be leaving without.  She is just
beautiful, a very typical ferret - she won me over by choosing me, again,
like Jasmine did - by a multitude of kisses all over my face and snuggles in
my arms, like she didn't want to leave!  Samantha, a.k.a.  Sam, Sammy or
Sammers, was a sweet 8 week old kit who Casey had a bit of a territorial
problem with at first -- she continually dragged Sam around by the neck
screaming the first month, which was difficult.  Sam, being the most petite
and rambunctious, active, fert out of my three, soon learned to be tough--
and promptly starting "beating up" on Casey and Jasmine as she grew.  The
smallest (only 1 1/2 lbs of pure energy), yet funniest to observe, of my
three, Sammy is always the actor/entertainer/thief of all hearts.  The hidey
hole all three share (under my bed) is strewn with everything imaginable; it
looks like a child's toy closet!  Sam is also the fastest, most accurate
climbing fert (of humans!) that I've ever met, and the only fert I've ever
met who is (I swear) 100% litter trained both in/out of the cage.  She's
also very photogenic - and was featured three times in recent Modern Ferret
magazines!

Well those are my babies -- and they own me, a 27 year old former PR guru,
now a HR/Operations/Event Planner/Corporate Trainer guru (new job at same
company) who loves ferrets, jetskiing, waterskiing and snowskiing with a
passion. :-)  Nice to formally "meet" you all!

Jen, Jasmine, Casey and Samantha