From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:31:15 MST
To Angel... the Dear Santa post was a thing a beauty.  I cried too, that
was very special.  I am thinking of printing it out and hanging it on the
wall in the shelter.  Thank you from all the fuzzies.

To Michelle... I kinda had to laugh when I saw what you did to yourself in
the post.  Many is the time I have small tiny diubts about a prospective
adopter, but they seemed like nothing, but when I sat down and wrote a
fellow shelter operator to ask their opinion, by the time I saw ALL my
concerns, laid out side by side on paper... I already knew the answer.
Sometimes the truth doesn't hit until we see it all compiled in black and
white.  If you do have any lingering doubts, no, I do not think you are
being paaranoid at all... none of those things are good signs in the least.
The vet our shelter uses is a kind soul who loves animsls and does bird
rescue herself.  Not only do they keep every record possible on file, they
always ask the names, pet the ferret and speak to it by name and quite
often when I bring *Rocky* in for a check up, she makes a point of asking
things like *How's Cissy doing?  Has she totally recovered?*... the staff
loves the ferrets and pampers them while we are there.  I even found out
that last week after Cosmos had been neutered and was up, prancing
around... they were snuggling him and giving him little ferret treats.  LOL
I almost hesitate to say it here, for fear of flames, but if anyone had
presented your comments to me in person my response would have been "this
sounds like a case of a vet who doesnt know a whole lot about ferrets and
doesn't want to admit it, find another vet and fast!"

I have had a couple of cases with my vet where the ferret was brought in so
old, sick and pitiful that I told her up front that I would understand if
she felt it would be most humane to end the suffering.... everytime she
just looked at me and said "no, we don't give uo that easy"... and all 3
of the ones that happened with are now much healthier and on the road to
recovery.  I just looked over my records, I have been using this vet for 6
months now and in that time, have taken in 9 ferrets and 4 cats.  3 of the
ferrets and 2 of the cats were pretty darm sick... and we have not yet lost
one with her.  If I had to pick a word for our vet it would be that she is
a Fighter, I get the feeling this vet you speak of isn't.