From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:10:34 -0600
Fred said yesterday:
>I think this is an indication that Canadian Frets tend to bite a bit
>more than say the Marshall Farms smaller leaner type of frets....
>Not that they are mean but just that they play a bit more on the
>rough side than other frets seem to.  More ferret like to me...

As a fellow Canadian, I don't think that this generalization can be
made either.  As a matter of fact, I just babysat a large group of
Marshall Ferrets and I found them to be a lot more bitey than the RCF
that I have had the pleasure of having company with.  Mind you, I have
also had the pleasure of MF ferrets that were sweethearts.  Size is also
a non-consistent factor.  Even the breeder here in town has produced
litters where the sizes have reached the full gamut and her breeding
ferrets are Canadian and American.

I think that as much as we "want" to believe that certain lines are
better behaved, more energetic and less bitey, the bottom line seems to
always be the same thing, which you also stated in your post yesterday...
human interaction with the ferrets.  Early handling than encourages
gentle mouthing, and learning the difference between what is not
acceptable (ripping my flesh apart) and what is (licking and biting that
feels like grooming, bonding or even acceptance as part of the sibling
group).  I don't think that there really is a ferret farm that is 100%
consistent 100% of the time in the handling of its kits.  Mind you, a
small breeder *may* have more success.  But we mustn't forget that the
kits themselves seem to be a great deal like other youngsters with
unique personalities.

Besides, as we have seen in the past, ferrets can quite easily be passed
off as MF or PV or RCF is the seller is willing to imitate the right
markings and copy letters of "authentication".  So do we really know that
we are getting a particular breed from any of the larger farms?  Anyone
with a half decent scanner and a photo manipulation program could pull
it off.  Even an inexpensive printer can do a good job with good quality
paper.  But I digress...

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets
Cuddle them, love them, forgive them, spoil them.