From:
Massachusetts Ferret Friends <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:02:56 -0500
Happy Ferret Freedom Day!!

On March 7th, 1996, Governor Weld stated the following -

(read by then-Lieutenant Governor Cellucci)  Search and seizure may make
sense if there is a crocodile in the tub or a cougar in the closet, but a
ferret on the Barcalounger that's what domestic bliss is made of.

This was the day the bill took effect making it okay to be a ferret in
Massachusetts, and March 7th was declared Ferret Freedom Day!!  The
passing of this bill was made possible due to the efforts of a small group
of ferret owners, many of whom are still active in MaFF today.  Today, as
we celebrate their efforts, we are reminded that in some cities and states
across the country, there are still ferret owners fighting this battle.
In Massachusetts, we still need help in educating the public about ferrets
and our shelters need support to continue with the care of the ferrets
they have opened their homes to.

MaFF will be celebrating Ferret Freedom Day this Saturday, March 9th,
12pm - 4pm at Saltaire Farm in Wareham, MA.  We will have lunch, a short
board meeting and the annual Board of Directors elections.  All members
are invited to attend, please bring with you your ideas for MaFF and
ferret stories to share.  This is a human only event, no furchildren
please.  Visit the MaFF website at www.maferrets.org
<http://www.maferrets.org> for more details.

On this special day, go play with your ferrets, give them an extra treat,
and remember those who have gone to the bridge.  Above all, be thankful to
the people who made the effort to get this bill passed 6 years ago,
without them, we would not know the joys of being owned by ferrets, and
remember there is still work to be done to ensure all ferrets are being
cared for in the best way possible.

Special thanks to Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue, Frisky Ferret Shelter, Luv
of Ferrets and the Educated Ferret Agency for all of their efforts through
the years in caring for the unwanted ferrets in Massachusetts.

Tracey Goodwin
President, Massachusetts Ferret Friends

MaFF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to education, outreach and
shelter for the benefit of the domestic ferret.

Massachusetts Ferret Friends, Inc.
P.O. Box 3123, Wakefield, MA 01880
www.maferrets.org