From:
Joe Horrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:11:44 -0500
I find that the most important trick you can teach your fuzzbutts is to
come running when you want.

What I have done with all of my Ferts, is to use Ferratone on my finger and
jingle keys.  I do this while holding them, so they build an association
between key jingles and Ferratone.  I then use a confined space, like my
bed, let them get distracted, playing, jingle the keys, they come and get
Ferratone.  When they have mastered that, I wait till they fall asleep
(in their cage) with the door open, and jingle keys, they wakeup and come
running.  I then do it in the house when they are running.  Finally, when
I take them for a walk in the yard on the leash and then running free, do
the same thing.

When it comes time for fert inventory, jingle the keys and they come
running.

You can use any loud annoying distinctive noise.  I chose keys, because
there are always some around and anyone in the house can jingle them.

Using the same technique, I have taught my ferts to come by their names
(and when I call them for Chicken {my version of duck soup}).

Sometimes my cat, Dalmation or kids will open the door, and they will get
out, but they don't go far, and come when I call.

fillup, jill, boots and bandy