From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:54:43 -0600
It occurred to me after the first post I sent, that I'd neglected to
address what seemed to be your greater areas of concern, Jennifer, that
alternatives were not presented and ultimatums using MUST:

In the name of education, I will tell you that you MUST vaccinate for
rabies in most states; it's the law.  You MUST vaccinate for rabies and
distemper before boarding at most kennels.  You MUST vaccinate for rabies
and distemper to obtain a medical certificate recognized as valid in
other states when traveling with your pet.  Use of the word MUST is not
always an opinion.

In order to vaccinate without risk of a serious reaction, you MUST
pretreat.

In life or death situations, I don't hesitate to say "MUST", especially
when there are no reasonable alternatives.

I don't present unreasonable alternatives.  I don't suggest Purina Puppy
Chow as a ferret food.

To pretreat before vaccinating isn't an opinion, personal or
professional.  It's a procedure to prevent potential injury from the
procedure that follows it.

Pretreating with Benedryl before a vaccination is a protocol for
which there is no equal alternative.  Yes, there are other non-equal
alternatives:

1. Administer steroid before vaccinating, but that's even more serious
medication than the Benedryl and is generally reserved for those who've
previously had a reaction

2. Administer one dosage of Benedryl within 30 minutes prior to
vaccination, which will provide some reaction prevention, but not as
effectively as the 3/5 day protocol, and can still allow a serious
reaction to occur.

The "available alternatives" are not "equal" to pretreating with
Benedryl for 3 or 5 days.  They are alternatives, yes, but they are
not alternatives that address the need as efficiently or effectively.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

It is not possible to provide alternatives to vaccination.  Nothing else
prevents distemper that I know of.  have I missed some new breakthrough
in veterinary science?  Unless the alternative can prevent distemper,
it's not an alternative.  It's a personal choice to place the animal at
risk.

At this point in your argument it sounds as though you are asking us to
consider that an opinion or personal choice is of equal value to a proven
medical treatment.  Yet, you criticize others because you feel that is
what they have done.

I think perhaps, you don't have very good definitions in your mind
between what has been a proven treatment (an alternative), and what is a
practice that is common but does nothing to treat or prevent a condition
(a choice).

Chemo or surgery for cancer - alternatives. To refuse chemo or surgery
for cancer - a choice.

(And it sounds like you've had to deal with my group medical insurance
company that paid doctors a kick back to prescribe the cheapest treatment
and discourage, through higher co-pays, seeking a second opinion from a
doctor outside of their network.  you bet we were furious, I almost lost
my leg because of it.)

To address the "vaccinate or not vaccinate" debate to everyone (not
directed solely to Jennifer because I know this issue is a very
longstanding and widespread one)... watch your toes:

It is my opinion that ferrets should be vaccinated for distemper
regardless of the few reported occurrences of distemper in ferrets.  It
is my opinion that even ferrets that have previously had a reaction to
a distemper vaccination should be vaccinated regardless of previous
reactions... that is why the pretreatment protocol provides information
to adequately protect them in that event.

The motivation for my opinion has several sources:  0
1. Ferrets come and go here like some people change sheets.  I get
calls from public shelters where ferrets are housed in the same building
with stray, unvaccinated dogs.

2. I take my ferrets to a vet on a regular basis... where dogs sick
with distemper may have been in the waiting room only moments before I
arrived.

3. I visit friends and family who don't have the commitment to
preventative medical care for their pets that I have and could
have a pet with distemper and not yet be aware of it.

4. I live in a neighborhood that doesn't always manage to keep their
dogs, unvaccinated or not, in their own yard.

If my ferrets are at risk by such ordinary and common events beyond my
control, who am I to say that your ferrets are or might be safe?

It's easy enough for us to say, "oh, the chances of it happening to me
are sooo remote".  It's easy to do nothing.  It's easy to save the time
and money.

And by far the most common reason and the reason we all seem to think has
some kind of moral justification: It's easy to say it's not worth the
risk...

Oh!  Wait!...which risk?  The risk of a reaction?  Or the risk of getting
distemper?

This is how the debate always ends up re-playing in my mind no matter who
is posting or how adamantly or eloquently their opinion is stated...

Which is the worse risk?

A reaction to the preferred vaccines is not common.  The reaction is
almost always preventable with pretreatment.  If the reaction occurs in
spite of pretreatment, that reaction is almost always not severe and is
treatable with a prognosis for complete recovery.

Distemper is not common.  It is 99% fatal.  The only available treatments
are euthanasia or keeping the ferret as comfortable as possible until
death.

I personally just don't see much of a debate.  But, that's my opinion.
I've tried to see a way to make it reasonable to not vaccinate.  But the
few facts I have to work with just keep getting in the way.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
www.ferrets1st.com=20