From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:12:53 -0400
Danee, Some of the list members say that they will give ONLY to research
that does not infect or sacrifice ferrets as with the current U of GA
project.  It would pay to point out that contributions to the AFA fund
could be directed in such a fashion, if that becomes possible.  As you
know, you've already had a contribution from us ages ago.  In fact, every
place I mentioned and at least 3 more have received funds from us over
the years for a wide range of different studies into many diseases.

Do NOT get competitive about the monies, okay?  That will only undermine
trust for any of the funds, including the AFA's, plus there are a great
many researchers who will ask at a large established place like the MAF
long before they'd try to find out if any ferret groups offer funds.
What we need is not places competing for funds, but interacting and helping
with research projects that compliment or constructively test and refine
each other.  People have made large differences in the past with their
contributions, but the FML is in constant flux; hopefully the people here
now care at least as much about progress in veterinary knowledge as those
who preceded them.  Can't see any reason why they wouldn't be as
constructive, so now it's just a matter of seeing if the contributions to
places like those listed in the last two FML issues reflect as much
concern.

Adrenals: have to add an exception to Anne's comments.  Sometimes the
people who live with the ferret will be aware of something that isn't
going to be readily apparent to a vet, such as a large change in the odor
of the ferret, large behavioral changes, straining to urinate, etc.  These
are important pieces of information and sometimes they can lead to not
waiting to do surgery on an adrenal.  Though they aren't the norm they are
important exceptions.  It was a change in smell which led to jumping fast
on Meltdown who turned out to have a malignancy that had not spread, yet.
Catching it gave her an additional 3 and 1/2 years.  Just saying there are
exceptions at times to the waiting rule.

Like Pat I'd also like to know if anyone has noted the rates of false
positives and false negatives when using ultrasounds for adrenal growths.
There was time when it was not recommended, but since it's used more again
am wondering it the things that messed up diagnoses were sorted out.  Have
they?  We had a false positive in one case very long ago.  Yes, there is
a wandering ultrasound person who travels to various animal hospitals in
north central NJ; Basking Ridge Animal Hospital uses him and he has been
very useful to our ferrets.  The Animal Medical Center in lower Manhattan
would also be an option for you.  [Midtown Manhattan.  BIG]

As with humans or anything else you CAN count on medical problems being
likely in old age, and some happening now and then beforehand (which is
why saving ahead of time for medical care gets mentioned so often).  Most
common problems are possibly things like tail acne, mast cell tumors,
adrenal growths of varying sorts, and insulinomae.  Cardiomyopathy is a bit
behind those.  It USED to be that that we'd hear a lot more from people
encountering lympho, but that has greatly reduced.  Have wondered it that
is just a variation, if it'a a misperception, if the rate might be
decreased by something like a predisposing virus becoming less prevalent,
if the improvements in general care and diet have influence it, or what.
There are a LOT of places to get great info.  I'm a bit straped for time
now, but go to http://www.ferretcentral.org, read what is there, then use
the links to go to the AFIP site, the "Ferretdoctor" site, the Miami Ferret
site, and others.  Remember that it's likely that the FML represents about
15,000 ferrets; thing look a bit different taken in that light, don't they?

Bob, re the higher rate of damage to females than males in ferrets exposed
to cig smoke.  If memory serves there was a note a while back in Science
News about a preliminary study indicating that human females are also more
likely to suffer cancers as a result of such exposures, and that the
hormonal aspects had an influence.  Having lived with my mom through
emphysema and then cancer along her vagus nerve and in her lungs from
smoking which killed her young after three years of agony I know all too
well that it is one sure way to go with constant severe pain that leaves
one wishing for release.  Let's not do that to ferrets, too.  Okay, folks?

Georgia, THANK YOU for finding a way that activated charcoal can be given
easily!  The original post about the accidental poisoning scare the
bejeebers out of me; that's an allergy med I use, too.  Both taught and
that is what makes the FML so special.