From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 19:03:46 -0500
Ken,

>I think I may have found a way to dissuade them from trying to drag my toes
>off to their 'hidie-hole' while I'm working at the computer.  The plan...
>is to put an external speaker on the floor a few feet from where my my toes
>rest while I'm working at the computer.  I'll just load up a bunch of
>different ferret sound files and when the attack my toes, I'll play one of
>these sounds...

Good luck.  From my experience they are more likely to:
1. Steal your speaker
2. Place the speaker in their hidy-hole after chewing the cone to small
   pieces
3. Then come back for your toes.

Jeanne,

It's very possible that your ferrets have been fighting over the food and
eating it instantly, because they are very hungry.  Ferrets have a 3 hour
digestive system.  They need to have food available all of the time.  They
will not overeat once they realize that the food will be there for them.  By
all means, leave the food out and available.  Feed them a premium quality,
dry kitten food (Iams, Excel, Science Diet, etc) or ferret food (Marshalls,
Totally Ferret, etc.).  Make sure that they have plenty of fresh water too.

LeeAnn,

Distemper and rabies shots separated by one week?  Actually Dr.  Mills of
Rhone Merieux, manufacturer of the rabies vaccine, recommended a two week
period between the Rabies and CDV shots.  We like to give the ferrets an
oral dose of pediatric benadryl (we use 0.5 ml) about 40 minutes before
either shot(that won't prevent a reaction but may make any that do occur
more manageable).  We also stay in the vet's office at least 30 minutes
afterward.  Reaction are rare, but can be life threatening if they occur.

Dick B.