From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:19:50 -0400
Barb,

Flea collars on ferrets is not a real good idea. Most contain a powerful
poison that might seriously harm the ferret.  Even the ones with the
Pyrethium (sp) may cause problems.

Best bet for flea control on the ferret is a kitten safe flea shampoo -
follow the directions carefully.  You'll have to treat the carpeting and
furniture (foggers work well), and wash the bedding and cages.  Follow it up
in about 10 days with a repeat of the entire process.

In real serious cases, your vet probably carries a kitten safe spray.  Vet
Kem, Ovitrol Plus is one that we've had good luck with in the shelter.  If
you have to resort to the spray, start around the neck, keeping it out of
eyes and nose.  Rub it in then go down the back, stomach, legs, and tail.
Then spray some on your fingers and rub it into the head, near buy not in
the eyes, the ears and near but not in the mouth.  Vet Kem makes an area
spray too.

Good luck.

Gerry,
$500 does sound very steep for an adrenal operation.  If Weare, NH is not
too far for you, you might call Dr. Mike Dutton (603) 529-4999.  He's worked
on many ferrets from our shelter.  He's excellent and quite reasonable.

James,
Acclimatization to a change of temperature will allow ferrets perhaps to
grow longer coats for cold weather, or loose some of the hair in warm
weather.  It doesn't change the fact that ferrets just don't have a very
efficient cooling system if the temperature gets too high.  Even a bald
ferret will begin to suffer when the temperature goes above 90 and may die
if prolonged exposure above 95 F.  If the ferret is older or ill, even the
90 might over a long period could cause serious problems.  The body
generates heat through the process of metabolism.  If there is not a way
of getting rid of this heat, the body temperature rises and eventually
cause death.

Humans can take temperatures even higher than their internal temperature
98.6 F, because they can cool themselves through persperation on the skin.
Dogs, through evaproation of moisture in their mouth (panting evaproates
it) Ferrets don't sweat and don't pant well.  They can't maintain their
rather high body temperature if the outside temperature is too high.

Given proper protection from the wind such as a small box, and good, warm
bedding to curl up in, a ferret can survive the cold much better.  There,
the biggest concern would be below freezing where the available water
became frozen.

All in all, the ferret is a great house pet, plain and simple.

Douglas,
Litter training is much like training a puppy.  It's my understanding that
members of the weasel family learn waste control from their mothers at a
young age.  Most of our ferrets are taken and sold before this training is
accomplished. So you have to do her job.

Bedding in the corners of the cage you don't want the ferret to use
sometimes helps, as does small bowls of food.  Make sure that the litterbox
is not too clean (always leave a little waste in there so they'll know where
to go.  The rest is just watching and making sure that they go in the box.
If you see them starting to go elsewhere, grab and place them in the
litterbox.  Reward for going there.  Early morning is a good time to start
since they will usually go soon after they wake up.

Consistancy and patients does wonders.  They are a very intelligent animal
and do try to please.

Laural,
About ferrets and collars.  We must have over a dozen collars with bells and
name tage hidden around the house.  They've managed to hide them all.  When
one couldn't get theirs off, it would go to the others and solicite help.
One would grab and tug, while the wearer would back and pull.  We gave u p.
Harness work, but seem to be very uncomfortable since they rub against the
back of the front legs.

Dick B.