From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:48:16 -0500
Another concern in NZ was that they kind of let their bovine TB checking
slip when it thought to not be there and not all of the fitch (ferret
fur) farmers were also not careful about providing cooked diet, and they
wound up with bTB both in at least one farm and also in some wild either
fitch or polecat populations as well as in ungulates.

(If that reminds anyone else of all the ADV problem where it was assumed
to not be there but it was and ADV+ ferrets got sent from there to at
least 2 other continents, well, yeah, it really reminds me of that, too.)

I know that NZ is said to be beautiful, so beautiful that my own
Father -- who had been trying to get us to visit Hawaii once wrote to us,
"Forget Hawaii." when he saw NZ, but, gosh, does it ever seem to have
some of the animal health and behavior things messed up... Heck, it even
ignores its own work on native bird and egg destruction by introduced
rats way too often, possibly because they are so much harder to control
and so much more prevalent, as happens with rats almost any place they
set up shop.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan