Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:31:48 -0800
I have been told by another reader that this would be a good point to post
on the FML, so here it goes.

Some children are afraid of animals because they have been bitten before.
I feel this is a result of how the parents react to these situations.  My
niece has been nipped by animals and she simply says "no" and pushes the
animal away.  When asked, her response is "no big deal, animals sometimes
bite." When the child understands this concept, they are less likely to get
freaked over a small incident.

I have recommended that supervision from the parents is key in dealing with
these situations, however, I do not recommend that a parent make a huge
deal or have a dramatic reaction to such an incident (I am talking about
small things NOT if the child is savagely attacked by an animal).  I think
that sometimes a parent's reaction to a situation can instill terror in a
child.  My brother has done an outstanding job of making his kids "tough".
I still see other parents rush over whenever a child cries or has a little
bump or scratch.  This can create mass hysteria in children.  I don't have
human children so I am just speaking from observation, from babysitting,
etc...

I have also seen lots of clingy children (I do not mean affectionate, I
mean clingy).  These are usually the same parents who jump at a child's
every whim and are extremely over-protective.

If I am ever granted the blessing of having human children, I know that I
will find a good balance, that is the hardest part.  My point is that
parents should supervise but not necessarily "jump" or react to every
little thing.  Sometimes a ferret is just playfully nipping and is not
causing any harm.

I often think that my nieces cause more bumps and scrapes to my ferrets
than the reverse.  Regardless, my ferrets put up with it and love them!  My
ferrets bang on the cage to come out whenever they hear my nieces enter the
house.  They all play together and I tend to think that all the commotion
is enjoyed by the ferrets.  Perhaps they are thinking "look, those big
ferrets are here to visit us again."

Just my thoughts on the matter.