From:
Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 08:34:04 -0500
As far as the term "Weasel Wardance" is concerned I think it comes from it
looks like the ferret involved is engaged in a mock battle defending itself
against being surrounded by imaginary attackers.  Those who insist on
political correctness should have more to complain about the Weasel part of
it.  Can't give people the wrong ideas by associating them with a wild
animal (tongue in cheek).

From reading the KDHE guidelines it appears to me that the handling of a
bite incident is dependant, not on rabies or shedding information, but on
whether a species is domestic or wild.  The rules, as written, are
absolutely clear on the subject: "An owned domestic animal shall be isolated
for an appropriate period." In legal terminology the use of the word "shall"
means that it is mandatory and not open for interpretation.  The state of
Kansas, the federal government, as well as every valid scientific source
recognizes the Domestic Ferret as a domestic animal.  End of discussion.
They have no choice but to treat the ferret as domestic and quarantine them
by their own rules.  If they do not like the rule they have the option of
changing it through the rulemaking process, including public notice and
hearings.  My advice (for what little it's worth) is to inform both KDHE and
the Attorney General's Office that you will not longer tolerate KDHE's
disregard of the legally promulgated rules that they are required to operate
within.

I think it's about time the people of California remind Mr. Wilson that if
he wishes to continue as Governor Wilson he had better do his job properly.
I mean by this that the job of elected officials is to represent the will of
the people who elected them regardless of conflicts with their own personal
beliefs.  A good rule of thumb in advocacy/activism is that each name on a
petitition represents between 50-60 people with the same belief.  Pat Wright
collected over 13,000 signatures (do the math).  This, combined with the
overwhelming numbers passing out of committee and the assembly, clearly
indicate the will of the people on this issue.