From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:43:34 -0500
A coule of days ago I noticed a request for info on shelters in Michigan.  I
tried direct e-mail (didn't work) and will again but just in case here is
some general info.  There is an organization in Michigan called the Great
Lakes Ferret Assoc, GLFA.  The president Micki Wingate is a breeder who was
involved in the legalization effort and the GLFA is now trying to raise $ to
challenge the no quarantine law.  In regards to shelters specifically the
only two I know of are one run by a vet in the Detroit area who is a member
of GLFA and a GLFA member in Lansing.  I am 1000 miles away from home right
now but if you get Pam Greene's STAR list of ferret contacts off the web
Micki's number is in there and she can give you both shelter numbers.

Since ferrets are new in Michigan there not that many ferrets in shelters.
Most people try to resell them.  There are two large shelters in Chicago
with ferrets.  Which brings me to an idea I have been toying with and is
directed to those who run shelters.  I have noticed that some areas have
lots of ferrets in shelters and some almost none.  Is there anyway to
distribute the wealth?  I for one would be willing to volunteer time and gas
money to transport ferrets from ferret wealthy shelters to shelters with no
ferrets but have identified loving homes as a way to contribute to those who
do such a wonderful thing as running shelters.  Does anyone think its
feasible to set up a network of helpers that do this?  Any ideas on how?

Mary, Boris and Giesela