From:
KCAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 06:52:05 -0500
Greetings,
   Mike,  Reference the fighting of the two boys.  When I brought the
first adoption home (Bandit) and introduced him to Frito (they were
both under 10 months) they threw down.  No blood, but it was rough!
Frito was much smaller but he just pursued and pursued Bandit.
What I suggest is you take some bitter apple and spray it on your hands
and then wipe it on the ferrets necks.  Liberally soak the neck with
the bitter apple. (note if there are cuts or scratches the apple is
high in alcohol and your ferret is not going to like that burning
sensation <G>)  That way, when they throw down, they won't like biting
each other.  They are going to have to establish boss ferret.  It is
the way of the world!  It is hard to determine from a distance if the
"battle" is too rough.  What used to alarm me when I first got Frito,
I now recognize as play and don't even get involved.

Chris V.
   You have a jewel if the kit is using the litter box regularly!
The biting thing is just normal.  The issue here is, what do you
consider painful?  With the little ones, I kinda grin and bear it
per se!  I make noises etc if it is too hard, but only get into the
popping on the nose if it almost time for blood to flow!
   The bitter apple will help!  One thing that was said to me is to
be sure never to play with the ferret once you have picked them up.
They should have a very firm understanding, that picked up means
play stops and it is time for cuddles and licks.
   As for being indifferent, you mentioned only having the ferret 3
days. We found, that in our young ones it takes several weeks for them
to develop a personality.  Whether the "personality" is really something
we begin to see as we learn the ferret or if they actually develop more,
you got me!  Ferrets MUST explore a new environment, and until that has
been completely done, they just can't be bothered with anything else.
In many cases if I put my guys in a new environment, they won't play,
won't come for loving, they explore, explore, explore!  Once they
have mapped everything, then the play starts.  Our guys come looking
for attention all the time now.  Maybe with 9 of them it just seems
like all the time! <G>

Frito, Bandit, Chip, Humpy, Bianca, Possum, Gnome, Candy, Spanky,