From:
julie dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 10:11:07 EST
Hey there, It's Julie from Ottawa again.
    I bought me new ferret 3 days ago.  I brought Floyd to the pet store
with me and when I introduced him to all the ferrets he seemed pretty
neutral about the whole thing.  He was really more interested in checking
out the store than playing with the ferrets.  So I chose an adorable little
sable female that was 7 weeks old (the oldest they had) and we called her
Meggie.  At home when the 2 were introduced, Floyd just ran and hid.  I
thought he was just shy.

    Well I now realize I made a big mistake.  I didn't want to spend an
extra $80 and buy another cage(I'm a poor student), so I figures I'd let
Meggie sleep in Floyds cage and he could sleep anywhere he liked.

    Well the next morning Floyd was most upset and when I went to let the 2
play he lunged for her neck and swung her around.  The poor little baby
didn't know what had happened.  I have been trying to introduce them for a
couple of minutes at a time a couple times a day.  The last few times Floyd
hasn't gone right for her throat right away, but he eventually does.  Is
this a good sign?

    I really need some advice on how to integrate them.  I can't let Meggie
roam around the house much because I'm afraid Floyd will get her.

    When she's sleeping in her cage, Floyd will sniff the outside and he
seems very interested.

    I think one of the problems is that she's still only a baby and she
likes to hop around and nip Floyd.

    Please tell me that they will eventually get along.  Anybody out there
have any advice???  Please?

    One more thing.  Meggie's cage is quite tiny and a regular size litter
box won't fit.  They pet store told me to use Wood chips but I know better.
When I did put a small 'litter box' in the cage, Meggie would play in it,
even when there was stool in it and get all dirty.  Also she likes to play
in her water dish and then jump in the litter and of course it then turns to
mud (I use the scoopable kind).  I tried using a water bottle but it keeps
dripping and floods the cage.  Help.