From:
"A.Maunder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:33:40 -0230
Hi again Fellow Ferret Fanciers!

So many people (a lot of them, new posters) have been posting requesting
help on litterbox training that I thought I'd post again about Oliver & the
"box." He's always been very good.  A 99% hit rate.  Even when he first
adopted me and did his first little poopie on the floor, I picked up the
poopie and put it into his litter box.  He sniffed if and looked at me as if
to say, "Poop in litter box - I've got it" and he did!  He's a free-roam
ferret and I let HIM CHOOSE the spot for his litterboxes.  In other words,
when he pooped in that first corner, that's where the box went.  We have two
boxes - one in the hall and one in the bedroom (he sleeps on the bed - with
or without me!  *grin*).  If there's ever a problem; if we relocate
furniture or when we visit my mother for the weekend, I just clean the
accident site well and put his basket, car carrier or a food dish on the
site.  He'd NEVER go pottie where he eats or sleeps!  Works like a charm.

ON FAKING IT: Oliver fakes pottie, too!  (Of course, it's not to get out of
a cage, since he's never in one.) I always praised and cuddled him for going
to the litterbox when he was little - and I find I still do quite often(a
little positive reinforcement can't hurt!).  I notice him hopping into the
box and looking right at me.  I know he's faking because he's in and out too
quickly to do anything but I always priase him anyway.  Then he runs over
for a bit of play or a cuddle.  Just attention seeking, I guess.  Gotta'
love'em!

ON COAT GROWTH: I've noticed Oliver is a little itchier than usual these
past couple of weeks.  The last time that happened, I checked his fur and
noticed these tiny little hairs sprouting.  I guess the growth was making
him itchy.  This time, I suspected his fall coat was coming in - and sure
enough!  Anyone else notice this extra-itchiness at coat-growth time?

Healing thoughts to sick fuzzies and parents.

Dooks to All, Andrea Maunder
Kisses & Nosenibbles from Oliver: "I've been waiting by the bathroom door
all morning, Mom.  I'm kinda' itchy and I want my shower.  Come on!"