Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:56:19 EST
Well, since the FML is getting so serious these days, I just thought I'd
like to lighten it up tell you some things that make my ferrets happy: woven
grass rugs that can be bought for less than $5 at a home supply store (itchy
Azrael especially likes to scratch his back on these), having the bottoms of
their back feet rubbed, and pulling the afghan from the back of the couch
and sleeping on it.  Azrael, my four-year-old love bug, likes me to carry
him around the apartment.  I think he just likes to see what I'm doing and
rarely tries to jump down, especially if I'm talking to him and scratching
his head.

This leads me onto the subject of lap ferrets.  So many people on the FML
have asked about how to get their ferrets to sit with them or to settle down
for a couple of minutes.  Both of my ferrets (4 and about 1) when they first
came were leary of being held and wouldn't fall asleep near me.  Both now
are very happy to sit on my lap and sleep for relatively long periods of
time.

My methods:
I make a habit of picking up the ferrets just about whenever they walk by me
or show interest in what I'm doing.  I give them a little scratch and talk
to them a little and then put them down so they can go about their business.
This way they know that when I pick them up they aren't going to be forced
to stay still for long and being held isn't a punishment.

When they're a little sleepy, make a comfy spot on your lap with a towel or
something.  Curl your arms up to make a safe feeling cave for them.  Then
sit still for as long as they will stay there or until your arms cramp.

I also let my ferrets sleep with me (separately as they don't get along), so
they associate being close to me with being relaxed.  In time, they will
come to associate sitting with you as warm and comfortable.  Mine will crawl
up onto the couch with me for naps and sometimes just to check me before
going about their business.

My general rules.  Never try to make a ferret sit still if it just woke up
and is already completely awake.  Don't interupt playtime and expect the
ferret to sit still.  In time they will relax more and more.  Azrael
practically falls asleep on my lap when I'm cleaning his ears and trimming
his nails.  George isn't there yet, but he will nap on my lap.

Hope this helps.
Lorali J Barber
Production Editor
301-530-7038