From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:23:53 -0500
this is a re post from 2 years ago, a list reader who found it a great
resource at a time near the loss of a companion ferret asked I share
it once again...

When our charges tire, their bodies get tired sometimes we just have a
hard time knowing when the time is right to let go..

May this be of comfort and support to our newer readers.

         Subject: Sometimes the greatest gift......

In this new year , for many of us who hold and love older ferrets it
is a tough time. Many of our companions are weary, ill and hanging on
to life -- a mere shadow of what they once were.

And for the humans that care for them. it is a painful and teary time.
I realize there are a few folks out there who need this post today.

I have shared these days over the course of my ferret years with far
too many ferrets -- but I have learned some valuable lessons along the
way. Something I wish to share for those who may be walking these same
steps whether this be the first time - or one of any number of times.

How do we know when it is time - time to say goodbye or time to give
permission? This time is the longest hour and the hardest part of the
journey for ferret care givers. To recognize the reality of life
passing and release the ones we love so dearly

It is a difficult task for us all, but I have found it gives a little
relief knowing they did not suffer for us. Hospice Mom Judy had to have
this talk with Harry not long ago -- and after she did when he curled
up to sleep -- he never woke up -- and that is the way I hope it will
be for me.

Harry passed on his terms knowing it was alright to go.

In the beginning, I am afraid many of the little lost souls in my care
lingered far longer than they should have - it was for me. I was not
ready to let them slip away - and consequently they hung on without
joy, without luster and without quality. At this season of giving I am
giving to you who may be walking this path the insight I have gained
after sitting, holding, comforting and crying over hundreds of little
souls. The wisdom to give permission for a life without pain, without
illness is a true gift, the chance for that special companion to leave
our world with dignity instead of lingering on.

Those words allowing release .." If it is time to go, it is all right,
I will find you when my day comes", goes a long way. I still cannot
speak those words without tears, but I know that for many of these
little souls who bond so closely with us it is a necessary gift.

I give you my earned wisdom for use when your times are in need.

Passing the Peace of this season to you all.

Alicia, a shelter mom