From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:16:26 -0300
Hi Randie,

Regarding your question:

 ....I forgot to put this in my last post. The Canadian breeder which
will supply all of the PETCOS with fuzzies instead of MF, tattoos
their kits with a vertical blue line in one of their ears to show that
they've been altered and descented. Do any of you know what breeder
uses this tattoo?

The Canadian breeder who uses an I (your vertical blue line) is 'Real
Canadian Ferrets'. Another name they go by I is 'Hagan'. Its the same
commercial breeder that markets under both these names. Unfortunately
they don't have a website.

According to MaryBeth Stanistreet, President of the Ferret Rescue
Society of Ottawa & Area, these ferrets are SUPER high energy, even
when mature and as a consequence have more nipping issues than MFs.
She said they see a lot surrendered at about one year of age because
inexperienced owners can't handle them. She suggests they do best with
experienced ferret owners.

Physically they have the rounder faces and in general, both sexes tend
to be chunkier, heavier and larger than MFs.

What they have found with these fuzzies are less cases of insulinoma
and lymphoma but adrenal disease is comparable to MFs. She also said
there have been numerous cases of unhealthy kits because of the
transporter/broker shipping sub-standards within Canada. She stressed
this was not an issue with the breeder but the shipper. She thought
the breeder was located in Alberta.

Tressie Dutchyn, PhD (c)