From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:44:11 -0400
Hello there

Don't panic just yet.  Earlier this week, I had the same experience.
On Monday, I noticed that my Beau's eye was very watery, and he kept it
closed most of the time.  Fortunately, I had a vet appointment on Tuesday
for his rabies vac.  The vet examined his eye and indicated that he must
have scratched his cornea.  He prescribed drops (Gentocin, a brand name
of Gentamicin Sulfate).  Within a few days, Beau's eye was all better!
Hooray!

Ironically, I had the same experience myself in April of this year.  I was
playing with Beau, and I accidentally stuck his paw in my eye (don't ask).
A trip to the emergency room revealed that I had scratched my cornea.  The
vet, uh I mean doctor, prescribed drops.  My eye hurt like heck for a few
days but did heal on its own, and I don't have any problems with it now.

During the healing process, you may put warm compresses on the eye.  It
will help to soothe it and decrease the pain.  Of course, discuss this
treatment with your vet first...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site at