From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 07:33:58 -0500
Hi, everyone.

I just wanted to put in my $0.02 on the vaccination subject.

I have always told people to vaccinate for distemper and rabies.  I
believe that distemper is very much needed since it is so easily
transmitted from one animal to another, or from human to animal.  I
do tell people that if money is an issue, to hold off on the rabies
vaccination since it is very unlikely that your ferret, especially one
that stays indoors, will come in contact with a rabid animal.  However,
I do point out that if a ferret is ever taken out into public and allowed
to be touched by strangers (or even family members who are "iffy" about
their feelings about ferrets) that getting your ferret vaccinated for
rabies is protection for THE OWNER.  That way, if a person gets upset
after being bitten, the owner has proof of vaccination.  If the person
wants to persue the matter from the legal side, then the owner has the
right to request a 10-day quarantine period, provided that person's
county recognizes the Rabies Compendium's recommendation.

-Mark Zmyewski, President
 Cloud Nine Ferrets, Inc.
 A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
 Huntsville, Alabama