From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:29:08 -0400
If we in the ferret community continue to attack our own how can we
expect to be taken seriously by those who oppose ferrets?  If we promote
using vaccines that are not approved for the use in ferrets why should we
expect vaccine companies to create and get approved vaccines especially
for ferrets?

Marshall Farms does some things that most of us consider wrong.  It
however is the one organization most responsible for the popularity of
ferrets in this coountry.  Why must we continue to attack them when their
is so much more to be gained by working with them to solve the problems.
We must decide to balance out the good and bad from any ferret entity and
work with them to promote the good that they do and cooperate with them
to work out solutions to the bad.

Fervac-D is a safe vaccine.  There have been reactions - but I've not
seen one and I go through as many vaccines as all but a few.  Galaxy-D
has not been approved.  If we tell everyone to use it anyway without
having propers studies done how can we convince them to go through the
proper studies.  How can we convince the Massachusetts, California and
Washington DC governments that ferrets are safe and their owners law
abiding when we promote misuse of vaccines.

The major ferret organzations in this country spend more effort bickering
with each other than trying to actually help ferrets and their owners.
Members of some of these groups spend more time promoting their groups and
their own egos than cooperating with each other.  These groups should
acknowledge that ferrets are the most important thing in their existance.
They should then be willing to do what ever it takes to help ferrets even
if it means acknowledging that some other group across town might actually
be helping ferrets too.  Calling other groups immoral for doing things
they themselves have done doesn't help any ferret.  Claiming some
superiority when none exists doesn't help ferrets.  All of these groups do
some good things.  If we can get past the human egos we'd find that they
really could cooperate much more.

bill killian

[Moderator's note: There's a difference between attacking and debating,
and I encourage the latter.  But making such a broad statement such as
the major ferret groups spend more time bickering than helping, kinda
seems like an attack to me.  Of course, I understand the point, but all
of us can stand to think twice before posting things meant only to fan
the flames.  BIG]