Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:21:24 -0400
Liberty will be 5 next month. I can't believe it. She came to me at
aprox 6 months of age so we put her birthday in late May. To date she
is still healthy (knock on wood) with the exception of 1 tooth that she
lost when trying to fly. She was about 9 months old. She had managed
to climb 7' up to the top of a shelving unit in the laundry room and
wanted to investigate the other shelves about 5 feet away. I saw he
getting ready to jump and ran to get her. Too late she made the leap.
I just missed catching her mid air. She fell the 7 ' to the hard
floor. I looked her over...no broken bones. I felt around muscles and
abdomen....no winces of pain. I let out a sigh of relief and let her go
keeping a very close eye on her. About 30 minutes later I noticed her
pawing her mouth and shaking her head so off to the vet we went. She
had broken a canine and it was cracked down to the root. They put her
under and removed it. By evening she was herself and back at climbing
Mt Shelving Unit. Here I am 4 yrs and some months later and I am still
pulling her off of there and constantly rearranging things thinking she
is blocked from climbing. She still loves a game of chase, dances like
a mad ferret and makes me laugh till I cry. Everything she does is to
try and outwit me, one of the smartest ferrets I have ever met. I think
sometimes she poofs on me for her own personal laugh. She is one of the
more stalky builds, still chases bugs and lizzards and will eat them if
you let her. I try not to, the roach legs always seem to get caught in
her throat and she hacks and coughs till it comes up :)

I lost a boyfriend over her....I had 5 ferrets at the time. He didn't
like them and a 6th one put him over the top. (I had ferrets when we
met so its not like they were a surprise to him) He forbade me to keep
her....I laughed at him. I was given the ultimatum...needless to say he
went, not her :) She is one of the special ones. The one that digs a
hole a little deeper than the others. The one that makes you laugh a
little more and one that tells you how grateful they are every day.
Little does she know how grateful I am for her. I don't even want to
think of the time that will come when she isn't here. She is my sweet
Liberty

Dooks and Wardances

Stephanie and the kids at Polecat Parlour