From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:16:24 -0700
It seems like once again confusion surrounds the FML Card Exchange.
Hopefully, this post will clear up the questions and put the minds of
concerned FML'ers at rest.

No, I am not leaving the card exchange and passing the responsibilities
to someone else.  The exchange that was announced in yesterday's FML has
nothing to do with me or Support Our Shelters.  I think what has happened
is that there are many, many needy causes right now and since coming up
with the idea for a fun and creative way to raise funds can be rather
difficult, it's sometimes easier to use something that is 'tried and
true.' The FML Card exchange has a proven track record.  We did the first
card exchange almost 2 years ago for Christmas of 2000 and thanks to the
help of some very supportive participants, it has grown from there.

So while I do not begrudge anyone the chance to make some money....I must
admit that I can see why there is confusion.  I don't necessarily see it
as these people trying to take advantage of what we have built with our
card exchange, but I do feel a few things need to be clarified.

This new card exchange will not be supported or sponsored by Support Our
Shelters.

As a member of SOS, I have always made sure all funds collected through
the card exchanges go to support shelters.  SOS cannot donate to
individuals.  I understand there is much emotion surrounding the Spirit
situation, but the fact remains, as much as we'd like to help her, our
hands are tied.  It is also important to remember that any donation you
make though this new card exchange will not be tax deductible.  It is to
an individual-making it a gift and not a donation.

So, while I am somewhat flattered that my idea has been copied, I want to
make sure everyone knows neither I, nor Support Our Shelters is involved.
As I am getting ready for the FML Labor Day Card Exchange, I need to know
if there are any of you who have changed your mind and do not want to
participate in it.  This new one comes right on top of the end of the Hot
Summer Exchange for Alicia at Ferret Wise, (which is doing very well and
I will post the results in a few days), and right at the beginning of the
call for Labor Day sign-ups!  There were 26 people who had asked to be
included in the Labor Day exchange and if any of you have changed your
minds, please let me know so I can remove your name!  Or if you haven't
signed up yet and want to, please let me know!

Thanks!

Judy Cooke
Support Our Shelters