From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 08:55:49 -0600
Hi all--

Ok, I'm panicking a little bit.  My dominant male, Pepper, practices mating
behavior with my timid female.  This has been going on pretty much since we
got the female, and it's annoying, but not a major crisis in itself.

All our ferrets are altered.

The thing is, the night before last and then yesterday morning I was shocked
to see that Pepper's penis was out of its sheath.  I've never witnessed this
before in ferrets--and I've had this ferret for almost two years.  So his
bright red organ had pushed out, and even left a little blood around the
"normal" belly-button-like opening.  And last night our ferret BB was
"mating" with our ferret Uno (both neutered males) and his penis was
starting to come out, too.

What's going on?  Is this normal, or should I be getting them to a vet?

My brother, who knows nothing about ferrets, swears that it was the full
moon.  That both people and animals get a little hormonally skewed during
a bright full foom.  I think it's a cute theory, but I'm worried about my
ferrets, regardless.

If anyone has any ideas, do tell!

--Sheri