From:
Gary Kaskel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 21:57:59 -0400
[Moderator's note: This is only very peripherally related to the topic of
ferrets, so I'm posting it as an informational item perhaps reflecting the
way the NY lawmakers do (or more likely, do not) view the world.  Please
refer specific non-ferret related comments directly to Gary.  BIG]

I pass along to all New York State citizens the following information
regarding two horrendous bills which were just passed by the New York State
Senate and the New York State Assembly:

S3869B (Senate Bill) and A6593B (its companion Assembly Bill), known as the
animal forfeiture bill allows the forfeiture of an abused animal and the
courts to order spcas and humane societies to act as commercial dealers and
sell the farm animals placed in their custody, reimbursing those convicted of
animal abuse. Spcas and humane societies could be ordered to sell fur animals
to be slaughtered for fur and farm animals to be slaughtered for food, thus
violating humane charters and perpetrating charity fraud. This bill also
eliminates the criminal penalties for animal control officers of spcas,
pounds and humane societies that dispose of mistreated and forfeited dogs and
cats in violation of the laws of 1987 which prohibit cruel methods of
destruction and release from shelters for any purpose but redemption by the
owners or adoption as pets.

PLEASE CALL OR WRITE TO GOVERNOR PATAKI IMMEDIATELY AND ASK HIM TO VETO THESE
BILLS. (HONORABLE GEORGE E. PATAKI, GOVERNOR STATE OF NEW YORK, EXECUTIVE
CHAMBER, ALBANY, NEW YORK, 12224    PHONE: 518-474-1041.

The other Assembly bill that passed is A8002. A8002 is the infamous cat
intubation bill and is misguided. Practice on animals is unnecessary. There
have been excellent anatomically correct state of the art "infant" mannequins
available for years that are routinely used to train EMTs in the proper
method of intubating children. The source of the animals is the abandoned,
homeless cats and dogs in animal shelters. Unscrupulous shelters could set up
in-house laboratores, abusing animals in their custody for profit. Today it's
cats and tomorrow it could be ferrets.

ASK GOVERNOR PATAKI TO VETO THIS BILL, TOO.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN
ANYTHING ABOUT THE BILLS WHEN YOU CALL. JUST GIVE THE BILL NUMBERS AND ASK
THAT THE GOVERNOR VETO THEM. THEY ARE LOGGING ALL CALLS.

ALSO, PLEASE DO AS I DID AND CALL YOUR STATE SENATOR AND ASSEMBLYPERSON TO
FIND OUT HOW THEY VOTED AND IF THEY VOTED FOR THESE BILLS TELL THEM YOU WILL
REMEMBER THAT WHEN THEY RUN FOR REELECTION AND WORK TO GET THEM DEFEATED.  MY
VERY LIBERAL IN ALL THINGS SENATORFRANZ LEICHTER AND ASSEMBLYMAN EDWARD
SULLIVAN VOTED FOR THE BILLS AND I LET THEM KNOW THAT I, AS A LONG TIME
SUPPORTER, WILL NOW WORK TO DEFEAT THEM WHEN THEY RUN FOR REELECTION.
THANKS.

For more information, contact THE COALITION FOR NEW YORK CITY ANIMALS,
212-865-0561.