From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:02:10 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Have a couple of ideas/plans to post here.  I have been kicking around a
couple of ideas, one from a lurker here, and will be working on that.

In the meantime, someone has suggested that I post what I did to actually
start the ferret club in Houston.  I will be happy to share that info with
anyone, and will in fact, make up a prepared thang on it.  If you would like
to know what/how I did it, email me and I will send you my stuff.  I work on
a mac and have lots of flyers, cards, and such made up in Clarisworks, but
can save to other formats.  I will also be happy to snail mail copies of
everything to anyone who wants it.  Just send me your address and you shall
have it.

Something that I feel very strongly about is education about ferrets.  And I
don't mean educating ferret owners exclusively, but the general population.
It seems to me that misconceptions are the biggest problem with ferrets,
whether it is with rabies laws, or just in general.  I am going to start a
little project on my own here, to do what I can about this.

What I want to do is design a press release packet for ferrets.  A packet
like this is what most local television and radio stations work off of, as
well as print media, when doing stories on local "color."  Stories on
non-profit groups and such.  When it is ready, I will be happy to make it
available to anyone who asks for it.  Not all the clubs and shelters have
the time, knowledge or volunteers to do this for them.  Granted it will be
non-specific for any one group, but then anyone could also enclose a flyer
on their group.

Now, a request for help.  I would like suggestions on what type of info to
include.  I want specifics folks.  Do you know a good reference?  How about
a web site?  Pictures?  What books do you like the best for medical/care
info?  That kind of thing, the more specific the better and easier it will
be for me.  Don't worry about permission, I will deal with that stuff
if/when I have to.  Besides, getting all of your wonderful suggestions will
give me a great reference base!!  Ha ha, I do have ulterior motives.
(insert wicked witch laugh here)

Maggie Mae--apologizing in advance for the toes I am bound to step on.
Get over it.

warning-post does include sarcasm. It is not mean spirited. If you think
so, you just flat don't know me, do you?