From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:38:44 -0500
The scar that you are seeing is an area of tissue death, probably as a
result of torn vessels from the pinch.

That tissue will die, fall off, and will be replaced by scar tissue, which
will eventually contract, resulting in an ever decreasing scar.  It will
look bad for a while, but the body will slough some, clean up the rest, and
he should be good as new.  It is likely that what follows the scab will be
bright pink tissue, which we call granulation tissue - it has a high
content of blood vessels, inflammatory cells to assist with the clean up,
and large numbers of fibroblasts to scar the scar formation.  It may look
alarming, but it is a sign of a healthy wound.

As he is eating and moving well, I think he should be just fine.

Don't stress out - he's obviously not!

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List: