From:
Bruce Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 21:39:57 -0700
Jennifer wrote:

>If there is anyone who has had any experience with diabetes in ferrets
>before PLEASE let me know.  I would like to know what to expect with this
>condition and what can be done to make her life more comfortable.  Her vet
>is learning from this as I am, and I'm very scared.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm a practicng exotic animal veterinarian and have seen only two cases of
diabetes mellitus in ferrets.  I think you're right, it is uncommon.  Both
cases responded well to insulin and a regimented feeding program similiar to
the one we use routinely in dogs.  If your vet has not already done so, I
reccomend diluting the insulin 1:100 with sterile diluent and starting a
feeding program similiar to ones we use in dogs.  Also make sure your vet
checks for other conditions such as adrenal tumors and abdominal neoplasia
as these can be associated with diabetes in other species.

Bruce S. Levine, DVM

"Lost in Cyberspace"