From:
Brenda Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:11:00 -0400
Sarah Senior Reporter
Daisy Cub Reporter
October 2012

Daisy Here: Hey Sarah did you know my far away mom went to Ireland?
That is far far away from here!

Sarah Here: That is cool! Why did she go to Ireland?

Daisy Here: All I know is far away dad won a trip to Ireland and he
and far away mom went, she is back now.

Sarah Here: I have some news too! "When LFFR/S submitted its
application for 501c3 charitable status, we knew that if accepted we
could apply for a Ralph and Virginian Mullin Foundation grant to cover
the $850 fee plus copying and postage. Ms. Kathy and Ms Marilyn loaned
us the funds to send with the application since we didn't have that
kind of cash just waiting around for some bill. When we were designated
a charitable non-profit, we applied to the Mullin Foundation for
reimbursement. We received that grant! Yippee! We could pay off our
loan from Ms. Kathy and Ms. Marilyn. Well, they surprised us and tore
up the check we sent them and said we should think of good reasons to
use the funds- like food or medicine or even treats!!!

Daisy Here: Wow Yippee for us!!!!" that must be how mum has all that
food coming in lately, you think?

It has been very busy around here; last month Mum and shelter friends
went to Canandaigua and Dansville Tractor Supply to set up for adoption
days. Then with our Christmas in October event the first weekend of
October it was crazy Busy! So many shelter friends came to join our
day. We had lots of ferret games and ferret rentals. That is when the
humans come in to pick a shelter kid to spend the day with. I even got
to spend the entire day with my far away mom Marcia C, Delilah got to
spend time with her far away mom Miss Iliana B., Honey Bunny with her
far away mom Miss Mary B. Miss Patty S. hung out with her far away boy
Teddy, Miss Donna took her Dancer out, Miss Wendy rented Milo and
Sugar.

We had a first time visitor Miss Mary Ellen B., Mum did not know it at
the time but Miss Mary Ellen had not ever touched a ferret until that
day and here she is the far away mom to the CYN girls and Lord Jenkins.
Can you believe it Sarah? She even took her girls out side to play in
the play yard.

I was in the contest with Fred a brand new fur kid that came in and
went right out with the Keenen family; Fred and I were in the look
a-like contest and we won. The Winners of the contest were: Milo won
the Heavy weight, Delilah won Miss Dainty, Fred won biggest ears,
Stitch; Miss Janette's boy won the longest tail and you Sarah won the
paper bag escape. We always knew you were an escape artist, which is
why you have so many cards attached to your cage telling folks where
you can not go!

The shelter volunteers that have been here are Miss Donna D., Miss Brie
and my far away mom Miss Marcia and Miss Iliana, Miss Jackie, Mr. Bob
have all came to help. Miss Stephanie N. has started keeping track of
and recording our physical donations for us, Miss Sheilla S. is
maintaining our Facebook page.

Then there is Miss Tori and her little Nora that keep our web site
looking fresh and awesome. The list of event helpers is long; some of
them come to our events to help like Miss Wendy, Miss Mary B, Miss
Tori, and Miss Pat N. All of the volunteer help before, during and
after made our Christmas in October event successful. A big Thank you
to all!

Frenchie's far away mom and Cousin Ralphster, they live in Florida,
sent a big box of stuffs for our raffle table for our event - beautiful
snack and snooze theme, man we have awesome shelter friends! Miss Tori
is setting up a special place to put all our shelter event pictures
right on our web site! Web shots site is going to start charging to
store pictures there so Mum and Miss Tori said NO WAY!!!!

Mum sure has been bombarded with tons of calls and emails for
surrenders! So many fur kids need a place to go and Mum can only help
so many. We are stuffed to the gills with fur kids just like you and me
when we needed a place to go Sarah. A business of 2 Fred and Alice came
in on Friday before our event - they were adopted by the Keenen family
the day of the event. Then Luna and Monster came in after that, Mum was
a bit worried the day they were dropped off; they did not act quite
right. They had just come from the Vet so they may have been having a
bit of a reaction to the vaccines. Miss Jackie came to sit with the
shelter in case the fur kids did not get here before Mum had to leave
for work. They are doing awesome now!
http://www.ferretfarm.org/ferrets/Luna_Monster/Luna_Monster.html

Sarah Here: We got a call from folks from Medford, Long Island about 8
ferrets they found on the side of the road. Mum called them back when
she got home from work; they played phone tag for a bit. Apparently,
the guy and his brother were picking up junk and they opened a plastic
tote and in there were the eight ferrets. They had them in their home
and are interacting with them. They said they are very friendly and
very full of energy, but they had no info on their ages.
http://www.ferretfarm.org/ferrets/8_in_a_Box_Gang/8_in_a_Box_Gang.html
The gang of 8 did well their first night, Mum said their food and water
dishes were empty she was constantly filling them for the first few
days they were here. Mum is feeding the gang of "8" duck soup to fatten
them up. Mum figures they have gone without food at times by the way
they are scarffing the food down as soon as they see it.

Vet day in Brockport - Jackie was true to her word, she jumped in the
van with Mum when she pulled up to her driveway at 6:30 am - See Miss
Jackie is more of a night time person so that was way early for Miss
Jackie! Our favorite Doc was ready to take the new gang of "8" when
they got there, but he used the larger room they usually use for dogs,
with that many fur kids Doc wanted more floor space.

What a process with so many fur kids at one time, 2 of the 8 got Des
implants a couple others are suspect but because of the poor diets and
nutrition Mum and Our Favorite Doc figure they had, Doc said he wanted
to wait to be sure they did not just have awful coats because of it. 6
of the 8 had gained weight from the Mum took them in to vet visit date.
Doc says they are in pretty decent shape considering; the most of them
are about 18 mo to 2 yrs one of them he figures to be 3 yrs old.

Miss Jackie cleaned up the poo in the carrier while Doc and Mum handled
the fur kids - Mum said Miss Jackie made her traveling to the vet day
so much easier. Thanks Miss Jackie for helpen our Mum!

After the gang of 8 spent time quarantined and away from the shelter
until they saw our favorite Doc Mum let them loose in the Play room.
They have become real ferrets; Mum found them stealing toys and
stashing them under cages. It has not taken them long to know that when
Mum taps on the barrier they come to see what she wants. Smart babies!
I still do not go running the minute Mum taps on the barrier, I wait
till I see her getting ready to crawl over it then I come to see what
she wants. It drives her crazy when I do that!

Mum wanted to make a horizontal cage for the gang of 8 which meant the
AC unit in the play room window needed to be moved up. Mr Bob moved the
AC up to the top part of the window so Mum could do that with the cage,
only now she found out that the company is making the FN cages
different and they are not compatible with ours! We heard Mum muttering
"why fix it if it aint broke"! Mum says the AC up higher is a good
thing and Mr. Bob is a saint for coming to help her get that done!
Thanks Mr Bob!

Daisy Here: Hey Sarah this news is getting mighty long, are we almost
done with the notes Mum left us?

Sarah Here: Yup pretty close Mum says she has some of the FML/SOS
calendars left if you wish to get one let her know

oh and Miss Tori has the Paypal button on our web site now for your
convenience you will find it here.
http://www.ferretfarm.org/HelptheShelter.html

Sarah Here: Don't forget about the Ferret Giving Tree Mum has all the
new kids listed there
http://www.ferretfarm.org/images/givingtreebutton.jpg

So until next month

Sarah and Daisy official reporters