From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:01:25 -0600
Charlie and Zipper had spleen surgery yesterday.  Both spleens were huge, as
big as my hand and weighed 1/4 of a pound each.  Both normal in texture and
color.  The girls are still sleeping a lot and I spent the night waking them
every 2-3 hours for them to eat.  Their color is good but they are skinny.
Especially Zipper.  She worries me.  She wasn't much over 700 grams and is
now 1/4 pound lighter, skin and bones.  Charlie looks thinner in the tummy
but she had good weight otherwise.  Our decision for surgery was prompted by
Zipper's lack of appetite and a bout of vomiting after eating.

Both girls vomited during surgery, 5-6 hours after their last meal of 2
ounces of recipe.  Well I guess we can call my recipe the "stick to your
ribs" kind.  The night before surgery I feed strictly recipe so perhaps that
is the problem.  I'll back them off another hour or two and see if that
solves the problem.

Vets - I know we normally leave spleens alone but how large is too large?
If we wouldn't have removed these would they have continued growing?  Was it
the right decision to remove these because of the size and symptoms?  Should
I supplement any vitamins (we added Pet Tinic)?

Hugs to all. Tle