From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:09:23 -0500
I took Cujo and Bandit to the vet this morning (Saturday).  I could feel
lower abdominal lumps in BOTH of them!  This was not a surprise in Cujo's
case, as he has been fighting prostatic cyst problems for some time now.
The vet aspirated them both.  Got 7 cc's of light green fluid from Cujo
and 5 cc's from Bandit.  He spun the fluid from Bandit to check for solids
(crystals).  There were no crystals but a lot of what he called "cellular
trash", which indicated infection.  So, now we have TWO Marshall Farms
ferrets, both around 6 years old with the same problem.  Both have
previously had adrenal operations.

I took them to Dr. Finnell at the South Orlando Animal Hospital.  Our
regular ferret vet, Dr Jeff Shaffer at the East Orange Animal Hospital was
not on duty this Saturday.  Dr. Finnel said he might see Dr. Jeff over the
weekend, and talk to him about Cujo and Bandit.  Dr. Finnell and Dr. Jeff
were classmates, and Dr. Jeff recommended that we see Dr. Finnell if he was
ever not available.  In any event, I will contact Dr. Jeff Monday to see
what he thinks we should do next.  I am VERY pessimistic about both our
little guys.  In May, Dr. Jeff said the Cujo's prognosis was "guarded".  A
daily dosage of antibiotics (5 mg of orbax) can only work so long until the
effect of antibiotics does not work because the bugs mutate to resist it.
I do not anticipate the future.  We love them both.  Maybe too much, if
that is possible.  Someday, I'm afraid, we will have to decide.  Just
typing the words here brings tears.

Love your babies.  Check them.  Get to know what they should feel like.  I
check all four of ours two or three times a day.  It is only because I know
how they should feel that I have been able to catch their problems in time
to get them help.

Our sympathies go out to those who have had fuzzies go over the Bridge.  We
catch sight of the Bridge every now and then, but have avoided it, so far.

Charlie, Ag, Donna, Cujo, Bandit, Snowball and Valentine.