From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:35:49 -0600
I'd have to say that the best this list is going to accomplish is a
RELATIVE reaction percentage.

Our reaction percentage was over 10% (considerably more than 2%) at one
time.  That's 10% of the ferrets that were vaccinated in our shelters had a
reaction.  But it's still just a number that's relative only to ferrets
that are vaccinated in our shelter and not relative to the number of
ferrets that should be vaccinated nationwide.

We have since implemented a 3-day pre-treatment regimen and ordered vaccine
direct from United and that has reduced the percentage to less than 2%...
but that's still just relative to our shelters.

I'm really more afraid that the reason the real culprit of the anecdotal
LACK of reports of reactions is that ferrets (we know they're out there
because someone's buying them from pet stores) aren't getting vaccinated.
Pet owners that care about their pets enough to subscribe to a list like
this to be informed are a minority in the real world.  Most pet owners
don't bother with vaccinations.  I wouldn't even consider trying to guess
the percentage of pets that have never been to a vet.  You can verify this
by simply asking people in the pet food aisle at Walmart questions about
their vets and the last time they took a pet in.  Again.... it's
anecdotal.... You're just asking people who buy inexpensive pet food....
But then, Walmart sells more pet food than your vet does...

It's back to the age-old squeaky wheel.  There aren't enough reports versus
the number of ferrets to warrant a can of grease.  So the verdict of the
powers that be must surely look like: "Petsmart & Petco alone sold 10,000
ferrets, and in this same time span there have been 200 reactions and some
of those from private breeders.... Well, that's not a bad percentage!  What
ARE these people complaining about?"

The moral of the story... squeak where you can be heard.  Have your vet
report reactions.  With the statistics stacked against us, each report
counts.  And in the meantime, be prepared to treat for a reaction.

For those interested in the particulars:
We give no less than 0.5cc and up to 1cc of children's oral Benedryl once a
day for the 3 days before shot day.  We then give up to 1cc of children's
oral Benedryl 30 minutes before the vaccination.  The amount of Benedryl
given each ferret is determined by the ferret's weight and previous
reactions.

We implemented this procedure on the advice of our vet and I highly
recommend it.  Previously we had near fatal reactions as early as the 1st
annual booster.  With each and every booster the chance of a reaction
increases.  Having a sleepy ferret for 4 days is immensely preferable to
watching one suffer anaphylactic shock.  You should discuss dosages with
your vet.

Not vaccinating is NOT an option.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home