From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 07:25:14 -0400
Rabies vaccinations are required by law in Florida.  I can't imagine that
anyone would remove that requirement from the law.  Does that mean you
will be put in jail if you don't vaccinate you ferret?  Of course not.
What it DOES mean is that if you ferret bites someone, the local animal
control/health department COULD opt to kill and test.  Or the person who
is bit could request your ferret be killed and tested.  Under existing
law, with proof of vaccination, a 10-day quarantine is imposed.  That is
the law.

I think most of us vaccinate to protect our ferrets in bite incidents
rather than to protect them from contracting rabies.  I've actually been
in the vets office and had kids come up and, before I know it, stick
their fingers in the carrier.  I won't get into parents who don't control
their kids in public.  But, that shows you how easily a bite can occur.

Katharine