From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1993 15:15:00 -0400
Marcus describes putting only a few inches of water in the tub, and
then holding the ferret and not permitting it to swim around - but
keeping it facing him.

I had 4 ferrets, and I'd put them all in for their bath together. I
would put a few inches of water in the tub - yes, they do much better
if their feet can touch the bottom. I'd put enough water in so that
the ferrets would start to float - their feet still touched bottom,
but barely. Then they'd paddle around. I let them swim around - as a
matter of fact, I'd let them swim around for quite a while. I'd bathe
one at a time, using small amounts of baby shampoo or ferret shampoo,
and then let them swim around to rinse most of the soap off.

I did not put a bathmat in the bottom of the tub - and they were
unable to climb out. If the ferret was panicked (only happened when
first introducing the bath a few times) I'd put a hand down near them,
or touch them, and that seemed to calm the ferret. They also *did*
need a person in the room, if I went out of sight, they'd start
panicking.

We also had a hand held shower head - and since there were four soapy
ferrets messing up the bathwater, I felt they needed a better rinse
than that. I'd drain the water from the tub, and start the sprayer set
to gentle, with low water pressure. One of mine absolutely loved the
spray, and would have sat for hours under it. The others were ok with
it, it seemed like they liked it on their backs and shoulders - it
probably felt a bit like a massage.

I used comfortably warm (not hot) water - comfortable to the human
touch, that is. I also filled the tub while the ferrets were in it,
and sometimes one or another would position himself under the incoming
water for a back massage. They didn't like it when the water was very
shallow and only getting their paws wet - they seemed to settle in
when the water got deeper and they were floating while being able to
just touch the bottom. They'd swim for a while, then rest, then paddle
again.

Well, just figured I'd relate my experience, with 4 of the rug rats...

Tigger (Grace Sylvan)                Mom of Katherine Yelena, 8/8/89,
[log in to unmask]              Corey 1/31/91; we loved him so,
                                     Robin Gregory born 2/28/92

 "It seems to me that our large goal is to find the ways to help our
 children become humane and strong."

              - Dr Haim Ginott quoted by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish