From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 01:29:51 -0800
    Hi Sheena;

    Well, I talked to a couple of vets about if I had to help Nermal...
cross the rainbow bridge who btw was breathing heavy again today due to
fluid build up in the chest again (bleeding internally).  So I made an apt.
to bring her to have the chest drained, and as she was making a noise when
breathing that did not sound good, I got the car/carrier ready to take her
in early, and got back to the kitchen where she was lying on all fours that
seemed more comfortable lately than lying on her side, with her head propped
on the leg of a chair.... but she was not breathing at all!  Panic, hang
upside down to drain, mouth to mouth, 80 mph drive with lights to the vet,
yelling emergency, they took her right to the back, was 10 minutes, thought
maby progress.... then the doctor came to see me, and it was too late.

    I had the second talk yesterday or the day b4with Nermal & told her that
if it was getting too much work, & it was ok with her & God, I gave my
permission for her to go, knowing that I'd cry, but I told ner that I would
be alright.......  I either can take what happened as she doing just that,
or beat myself up for not taking her in yesterday, or an hour earlier.....
etc, etc,/.////

    Whew...  So the point of all that is that I believe they understand this
kind of talk very well.  I don't remember exactly who on the FML told about
a girl ferret of hers that more than once wasn't supposed to survive, but
did some 3 or 4 years longer...  She awoke in the middle of the night when
she heard labored breathing, picked up the ferret & noticed pretty much
labor & distress.  She said to her that if it was too much work it would be
ok for her to let go, that she loved her very much, and didn't want her to
suffer for her (the human's) benefit alone.  The ferret breathed 3 more
times, gave a big sigh, and left her little body.  I believe this to be the
real truth...  You might first try this with Fang.

    I would really have trouble with euthanizing as in a 5 yr.  period I
lost my whole birth family, my mom was blaming me for my brother's dying
since "he was not following my alternative research", and a whole bad scene
with death, to keep that story short.  Very traumatic subject for my past.
The words murderer were ringing in my brain, & I was having a terrible time
thinking of "having to do this with Nermal".

    Today I talked with a vet that makes house calls & says some 55% of his
business is euthanizing.  He says in his opinion many really don't need it ,
but that's something else.  He said the drug that stops the respiration must
be given into the blood stream or it is very painful, causing screaming, the
last thing a person needs in their home.  My ferret doctor here says he uses
isoflurane (gas) first to cause unconsciousness, then the shot is into a
vein or the heart.  The house call Dr. says he can't use gas as lots of
older folks think gas is like natzi germany death camp, (!) so he gives a
different shot in the leg to make unconsciousness happen, then the lethal
goes into a vein or the heart, but after their asleep.  Something like $55
is the 2 shot house call.  I'd call a couple of more vets for pricing if I
was there, $80 sounds a bit steep.

    IT seemed to me that the gas first would be the least pain to the four
footted person, then the shot after..  If Nermal was to get obviousely
suffering I was going to ask the ferret Dr.  who normally does not see dogs
or cats, to do his method.  He admits when his dog needed it he could not be
there while it was being done.  I would have forced myself, for Nermals'
benefit of knowing she was loved as she slipped away..  Having said that I
called a good friend this morning and asked when do you draw the line?  She
said she doesn't, that's God's place, not hers.  If there's obvious pain,
they medicate.  If it's terminal, they take it home & give it love until God
and the 4footed person decide it's time.

    This all is a very personal thing, and I really believe as my friend
Mason does, so I guess Nermal & God decided this was something that was due
to happen.

    I have to thank Bruce Williams for his help during the last 3 weeks with
the labs we were doing and the pathology as we try to find out exactly what
was causing Nermals' problems.  He's a true man of knowledge and experience
who has a heart that's as well developed.  The world would be better off
with more like him and Bill who tirelessly, or at least without much public
complaining, is doing a great service to us all by maintaining this list.

    I pray for the easiest course of events for you and Fang, one that you
can find peace with for the future as well.

    Take care,  Sincerely & with hugs, Gary

[I'm posting this to the list as I'm sure it's a topic that needs all the
help it can get here in the US, where a lot of us have not been taught how
to deal with the "passing on" process very well.  I also hope nothing I've
said offends anyone, as there was none intended, as to whatever a person
decided is "right" for them. [Gary]]