From:
Dolores Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:11:10 -0600
Hi all!  First I want to thank everyone that gave me all the great advice
when I was sooooo worried.  As some of you may remember, I have been going
through an ECE outbreak at my house.  A month and a half ago ferret-math
took over and I got a fifth baby, well, 2 days later, 2 of my other ferrets
are having the green poopies and not eating, etc.  Then another one got
it!!!  So in all I had 3 sick babies!!  Boy was I worried!!  And one of
them never got it.  According to some of you, and this is what I thought,
he could be immune to it, and we all figured the kit brought it in with
her.  So anyways, now that they're on the mend, pretty much back to normal,
weight gained back, playful, formed poop, occasional runny one though, I'm
having trouble getting the kit accepted by the others.  Mostly the 2 boys.
I have 2 sprites, 2 gibs, and the kit is a sprite.  The other 2 girls
really don't seem to mind her.  I have her separate of course.  And I've
switched bedding.  But whenever I try a short stint out with the clan the
boys are pretty mean to her.  Especially Chunky, he's the alpha ferret, he
pins her down right away and starts dragging her around and she's crying.
So I immediately separate them.  I've tried bitter apple, it kind of
worked, but he seemed to find a spot that didn't have it on there and went
for it.  Plus, I'm afraid maybe they'd associate her with a yucky taste.
Can that happen?  What should I do?  I feel so bad, she's so loving and
playful, she's just wants to join in the fun, but they won't let her.
Also, I was wondering, since I seem to think she is the carrier of ECE, do
I have to worry she'll re-infect them, if so, how long do I have to wait?
Do the ones that got it have immunity now?  (Kinda like chicken pox?)
Please help me, I know you guys always have some great advice.

Thanks!!!! :)

Sincerely,
Kris and her fightin' ferret frenzy