From:
"Dennis L. Rhoads" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 21:02:20 +0000
I have been following the debate on manatory testing for shows and as a
person who shows ferrets at shows I had to add my 2 cents to it.

I disagree with the mandatory testing of ferrets for the shows.  To do
this is going to be the death of shows.  A lot of individuals make a lot
of money to support their shelters and rescues off of the shows and that
revenue would not be there.  The majority of people are not going to come.
Why?  Not because they have anything to hide but because of the expense of
it.  Most people cnat' afford to show ferrets when it cost 25 dollars per
ferret to show (15 for enry and 12 for testing 30 days prior).  It doesn't
sound like much if you say it fast but it almost doubles the entry fee.

Another function as brought up by others is eduacation.  But if testing is
required at the door and walkins have a ferret with and came to the show
for info they are going to have to pay for testing and entry in one lump
sum which could be considerable.  They are not going to come in because
of the expense.  How can you educate someone if you can't get them in the
door.  They have learned something though about ferret shows though.  They
are to expensive to come to, so they go uneducated.  Some people myself
included hate to be told they have to do something or that something is
mandatory.  I went though 20 years of military life being told I have to do
this and I have to do that and that is a considerable amount of resentment
for mandatory things.  I will not come just because it is mandatory.

Testing before a show does not mean that the ferret that was tested is the
one at the show.  You are leaving that up to the indivdual and trusting
them which is the way it should be.  But is everyone in this world honest
and can be trusted to do the right thing.  Or do they stretch the truth a
little to suit themselves and others.

For instance the individual yesterday who said they have ADV in their home
as a result of occurances at the Warm Fuzzy show.  That individual is
plainly listed in the show program as showing a ferret in Siamese named
Maori Moonshine whose Sire was White Russian.  Now as everyone knows White
Russian is ADV Postive and has been for some time.  The caregiver for that
ferret has not hidden that fact and is one of the leading advocates for
ADV Research.  So did they get this at Warm Fuzzy Show or just say they
did because their friends are pointing fingers there.  Who do you trust
and how much.  And did they know it was ADV positve before the show and
bring it anyway therefore endangering other ferrets.

Now I believe the people for the show at Monroeville are trying to do the
right thing as they see it and I also agree that something has to be done
to halt the spread of this terrible disease but in my opinion I am not sure
this is it although I have to admit I don't have a better solution either.
Either way I would not go.

Just my humble opinion

Dennis
The MacWeesel Clan