From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 12:01:56 -0600
I attended the first of six hearings scheduled to hear reactions to the
proposed animal ordinance for Salt Lake County.  The good news is, no one
is opposing the sections that would legalize, protect and make it mandatory
for first time Ferret owners to be educated as to what they are getting
themselves into becoming a Ferret Owner.

The Bad NEWS is although this will legalize them in Salt Lake County, it
really only means that for the unincorporated areas of the county.  The
following cities that are "Incorporated" will have to pass cities
ordinances to legalize them (Sandy, Salt Lake City, Murray, Draper,
Riverton, West Valley City, Magna, Holliday, West and South Jordan, and
any other incorporated part of the County).

So what does this mean?  The battle starts all over again.  But now we are
veterans at this and we know what to do.  I will be sending letters to the
mayors, city councils and animal controls of these cities to see what their
reactions are going to be.

David Flagler, SLC Animal Control, feels that many of the cities (excluding
Salt Lake City and Sandy) may just change their ordinances to go along with
this one.

For all of my Salt Lake County people who receive this, please call your
mayors, councils and animal controls.  Write them, call them, fax them your
opinions and support.

Rick
United Ferret Organization (note new address)
668 Union Square Ste 234, Sandy, Utah 84070
The United Ferret Organization is dedicated to the protectection of the
Domestic Ferret and education others about the wonderful companion they
make.