Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:22:14 -0700
Sukie wrote:
>Personally, I like such direct approaches because I can be so very
>sure where our money goes. (Guess I got burned a few times too many.)

You do have a valid point Sukie. But here is another side of it.
Shelters only get so much in cash donations and not all shelters have
the time/space to sell things themselves. Merchants who offer a
percentage of their proceeds provide an additional source of income.
People who are buying something for themselves or their ferrets get the
added bonus of helping a shelter, without actually spending additional
money. For some of us with the ability to craft items but a lack of
"expendable income", running a website/ebay auction and donating a
portion of our proceeds gives us a way to help.

I understand being burned a few times would make anyone wary. And
indeed, you would certainly want to know the shelter actually gets
their donations. May I offer a possible solution? When you find a
merchant who offers an item of interest, and says a portion of proceeds
will be donated - check with the shelter. An email asking if they are
aware of the merchants claims, what their experience with them has
been, and if they would recommend purchasing from them can clear up
any doubt. This way, you can get some great items, and a shelter
gets an additional source of income. With the shelter system being
so overcrowded, every little bit helps.