Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 00:28:31 -0700
Hi Tamara, I can't really tell you much about the tail-hair loss, but I'll
pass on to you what's been told to me.  My Buttercup has been slowly but
steadily losing hair on her tail for nearly a year.  The first vet I saw
said that 95% of the hair loss he sees in ferrets is eventually adrenal and
he was ready to do surgery immediately, even though she shows no other
signs of adrenal.  I didn't want to do unnecessary surgery, so I took her
in for a second opinion.  This vet couldn't feel anything wrong and wasn't
convinced it was adrenal, it could be a seasonal thing, even though it's
been going on for so long.  He's recommended that we let it be until
mid-summer, and if she's still got little fur or if it all falls out,
then we're going to try some of the Lupron shots for three months and
see if that doesn't fur her out again.

Your vet may tell you something completely different, but that's what I've
learned.  Hope it helps any.

Wendy and House Penferret: Boobah, Buttercup, Pica, and Flower