From:
James Edward Lapeyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 09:10:00 -0400
Cyn: thanks for your FML post.  I've dealt with green slime a few times, as
have plenty of FML'ers.  But I'm more a ferret-nurse than a doctor, and
other folks more knowledgeable in matters medical are cheerfully invited to
correct me.

It doesn't sound like Bryson's _necessarily_ got ECE (green slime): you'd
proably know it if he did.  He may, of course, but in no case do you need to
panic.  You and your vet are treating this very well with antibiotics, and
it sounds like you've had success.  The fact that he's eating and drinking
is a huge plus: if the ferret can keep up his energy and (with some help)
ward off opportunistic infections, you're half-way home.  If the stools are
dark and tarry, you really want to have your vet check for intestinal
blockage/hemorrhaging.  If they are green and mucousy, that's not good, but
it may just mean that he's still fighting his intestinal infection.  Your
vet will know whether a change of antibiotic is in order.  (we had to stuff
an antibiotic cocktail into Winston at one point under similar
circumstances.  NOT fun.)

As for the loss of weight: give him some time.  If he's eating, it will
return.  It takes calories to fight an infection, and some of our ferrets
tend to significantly drop and regain weight seasonally as well.

Hope that helps: above all, stay calm and keep the medicines, fluids and
food in Bryson, and keep your vet apprised.  Lots of us have gotten through
these digestive nasties.

Eydie: your tribute to Trish really floored me.  Thanks for that.  I wish
you and your ferrets the best.  Thanks to you, Trish, for being a light in
the darkness.

     Peace,
     Otter