From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:25:44 MST
Are we not the same people who throw a fit if a breed/shelter/owner gets
overwhelmed and the ferrets go neglected??

Are we not the same people who say things like "Why didn't they ask for
help sooner?  Wake up people!!!  THAT is exactly what Mia was doing!!  She
was smart enough to look ahead and realize she would become overwhelmed and
she had the courage to admit it, make an obviously difficult decision in
the ferrets best interest, and had the guts to ask for help!!  And she is
chastised for this??  The next time a situation arises where *a shelter was
found to have 100 ferrets living in flith and underfed* not a single one of
you who attacked Mia better say a word.  For all those who wonder "why
didn't they ask for help before they got overwhelmed?"... now you now why!!

I do not know Mia personally, and I guess I missed her origional post,
however... her post a couple days ago caused me disbelief, shock, disgust
and I cried for her.  Although I do know how cruel some people can be,
this was a new level that shocked me to the core.

Guess what folks??  Due to my own medical condition, the numbers of rescues
coming in, number of sick and special needs rescues, family issues... etc..
I have recently decided to scale down my own breeding and to cut back on
numbers a bit.  I have a couple ferrets I will be *retiring* earlier than
planned and adopting out to loving homes.  This was an agonizing choice for
me, I love each and every one deeply, and planned on keeping all for life,
but I was forced to choose.  My other option was to stop taking in rescues
and I can't do that.  I have thought about stopping the shelter a few
times, and every time I end up getting a call about another unwanted,
abused, neglected or sick ferrets and I realize I can't stop!  I can't just
leave them out there.  So instead I chose to lower my numbers of personal
ferrets and how many kits are born.  So I assume I am going to get flamed
and nasty emails too huh??  Perhaps you would like to tell me to just *get
over* my own medical problems and disibility?  Maybe you want to tell me I
should get a divorce and abandon my children so I have more time to devote
to ferrets?  OH WAIT, NO... I guess maybe you are going to tell me I should
murder my children so I can have more time right??  Thats really not much
different than what some people suggested Mia do.....

To Mia, please know not all (and hopefully darn few) ferret people are
reflected in the comments you recieved.  I for one, understand why such a
decision has to be made, and the agony you go through to arrive at that
decision.  You have my support and my best wishes thar your ferrets find
the good, loving homes they deserve and for you and your family to have
much happiness.

Susan Malone
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Of Tulsa
Fanciful Ferret By Pegasus